Ink on leather-again

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by 911Fanatic, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

A client just bought a vehicle and it came with this on the back seat. Looks like someone put a wet photocopy onto the cream colored leather seat. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Steam it or Mr. Clean erasure? :confused:

3. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

I have not used it, but this has been a product recommended to me by the carpet/upholstery/leather cleaning place I get my stuff.

Leather Master Ink Lifter

4. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

Finish the article for him? It must have been important if he embedded into his seat :p

I'd try a steamer as well. If you try the leather master ink lifter I would love to hear your experience.

5. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Leather master Strong?
    Ive had good luck with lexol, and cg leather cleaner.

6. 911Fanatic

Thanks for the replies.Where can I get the Leather Master stuff? I tried Lexol, didn't touch it.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

DO NOT use a magic eraser on leather. Clean it properly with LM from DD.

8. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Detailersdomain.com phil is a vendor here. He operates a great business, is a great guy and an even better detailer.

9. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

Detailersdomain.com - Phil is a great guy! I bought stuff from him and had it within 24 hours! Granted he only lives a few hours away, but shows that he gets his shipments out fast!

10. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Tell me about it I made an order at 4 am and it was on its way to me by 10am

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Agreed, abrasives should not be used to clean leather... even though some have used it with no reported (or observed) issues, you are abrading the hide and thus comprimising the inegrity of the coating and hide itself.

Leather master is your friend

12. 911Fanatic

Thanks guys. Will talk to Phil.

13. jayjacque

jayjacque Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Haven't tried it yet but Super Remover by Leather Master is supposed to be for dye transfer problems. Haven't tried it cuz I'm like you in Canada and hard to find an affordable Leather Master supplier up here.

Restoration & Repair Products

Leather Master Super Remover
    LMSR250
    For removing blue jean transfer, newspaper print & deep stains like mustard on PROTECTED leathers.
    This product works when nothing else will clean the leather. Often on light color leathers, it appears that the color is coming off the leather because it looks that way on the surface. What actually has happened is a transfer of color to the leather's surface from blue jeans and / or newspaper print.

Instructions for Use: Pretest the Leather to insure colorfastness of leather in a hidden area of the piece prior to full use. Apply the SUPER REMOVER to a soft, clean, white cloth and blot the leather, rubbing lightly to remove the transferred color. Pay attention to your cloth to see if you are removing color from the leather. There is a fine line between removing the jean transfer and also taking away some of the leather's original color. You will have reached maximum transfer removal when you see the original color on the cloth without taking away the leather's color. Clean the surface with Leather Master SOFT CLEANER to rinse away any residue of the product. It is very important to use lots of cleaner to completely remove all residue or traces of the SUPER REMOVER. llow to dry for about one hour.

After drying again apply Leather Master PROTECTION CREAM to renew the protection.

14. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This is more a case of dye transfer than ink removal.

The longer it has been sitting on the finish the further the dye will have soaked into the finish and the harder it will be to remove.

Any universal stain removers or the use of solvents, alcohol etc. may well remove the finish on the leather and will not necessarily solve the problem.

Maxi Cleaner is a specifically formulated cleaner for this problem and if this will not remove the dye then there is no 'cleaning' solution.
    The stronger the prodcucts get the more likely damage there is to the finish and this will then need rectifying. When no further dye can be removed the leather will need recolouring to match to cover over the dye that is left. Refinishing will be part of this process.

Have used Super Remover extensively and would use this as one of the next steps after Maxi Cleaner. It is a mixture of solvent and detergent and slightly softens the finish to enable any dye to be drawn out.

We always start with the least aggressive product and technically have a 5 stage process for dye transfer removal

Maxi Cleaner
    Alcohol Cleaner
    Remover 1 (the equivalent of Super Remover)
    Remover 3
    Recolour

this ensures that the least amount of damage is done to the finish and if you get as far as using Remover 3 you will need to recolour/refinish anyway but doing the 5 steps ensures that as much has been removed as possible to help reduce the chances of the dye coming back through.

Hope this helps

15. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

This is a must have product. The results were amazing when it was demo'd at the MTE a few months ago. You apply it to the ink like chapstick, rub it in a litte, and wipe it off. You can watch the ink smear and start to dissolve. I believe that they also used a steam cleaner along with the ink lifter. For someone who sees a lot of leather with ink, its a must have ... it's silly to waste time trying to remove ink with other products, IMO.

16. judyb

With the amount of dye (ink) there is here you will have a job removing it with an ink stick as yuo would have to apply an awful lot of product.

Ink removers can be very good on new and fresh ink (usually when you see a demonstration the ink has only just been applied and the results are instant and dramatic - I know because I have done those demos with LM products). The longer the ink is on the leather the harder it is to remove as it moves deeper into the finish as in this case. Ink removers are very very unlikely to have any eefect on a problem like this but they are alwasy worth trying as a first step.

17. wise 85

wise 85 Virgin Detailer

Have you tried ordinary hairspray?

18. judyb

Hairspray is a tricky one. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work (and you won't know until you try it) it can make the matter 10 times worse as the ink stain can spread quite dramatically which is why it is not generally recommended that you try it.