Initial Review: Swissvax Crystal Rock

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by LanceM, Aug 24, 2008.

1. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

I received crystal rock a few days ago and was eager to try it out. I started by claying and did a quick polish on the car . I did this even though TS Fay's rains were approaching. My neighbors thought I was crazy.

Overview: The wax smells great. It has a white color. The wax itself was softer than I expected. I thought it was going to hard since it has 76% carnauba content (but thats something no one can figure out)

Applying: Applying the wax was effortless as swissvax waxes are. I used CG applicator as I don't really like applying by hand ( I have calluses from working out and don't want to even risk it on Honda paint). It was easy to apply a thin coat.

Removing: I let it sit for around 15 min and it was very easy to buff off.

Initial Results: As soon as I buffed off the wax, it was easy to notice the wetness and depth. I believe this wax has a cleaner look than Concorso. Concorso give a real nice wet look, but it sometimes kind of looks oily/sloppy. Crystal Rock gives the wet look without giving the oily look (I hope you guys understand). I feel it has sharper reflections than the other Swissvax waxes. It has clarity just as good as Vintage. My only knock against Vintage is that it doesn't have the depth of the Swissvax waxes. Also for being outside for a day, it didn't collect as much dust as other carnaubas I've used. This is a huge plus for me. I'll keep you all updated on this.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this wax. It seems to be a great overall wax and hits all the points I am concerned with and more.

It was starting to rain. The pictures don't do the wax justice. It looks MUCH better than the pictures below. Hopefully, I can get some shots with the sun out,but here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started raining. Here is a vid of the beading and sheeting

[​IMG]

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Lance thanks for sharing.

3. Wendell inc.

Wendell inc. Birth of a Detailer

looks great lance! In your opinion was it worth the grand? Would you do it again?

And i love your honda! The new CR thing looks awesome!

4. LanceM

Thanks Alot!

Honestly, I debated about buying Crystal Rock alot (Phil can attest to this, I was pretty gun shy). It was alot of money for an average guy like me. But, I think it was worth it. We are all a bit crazy spending alot of money on detailing supplies (or at least my friends think so).

All in all, so far I am very impressed. I would do it again if I had the chance to go back in time. If I get some good durability, than its even more o f a plus. I don't expect to be buying another jar for awhile, as I've been using concorso on my cars and other cars for over a year and still haven't used much.

5. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Nice job. Looks great.

6. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

yeah i see what your talking about. those pics don't show the depth and wet look like one's for the 993. i gotta say i am surprised on the low level of dust attraction. i haven't used another nuba that repels dust like this.. i haven't used vintage actually the only other high-end waxes i have used are concourso and zymol concours, and this in my opinion blows them out of the water.

glad you love it!!! i can definitely see myself buying a few more jars in the future.

7. LanceM

Thanks alot! I'm happy with it. I added a video and am enjoying the water just gliding off the car as it rains.

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great review and congrats on the purchase. Can't wait to see some sun pics as I bet the car looks awesome!

9. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I hate you all you Crystal Rocks fiends [​IMG], stop putting all that pressure on me [​IMG]. I won't give in, I won't give in. [​IMG]

10. LanceM

You know you want to. Come on everyones doing it. (lol classic peer pressure statements)

11. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

yes you will!!!!!!!!!!! and if you don't i won't be your friend.

12. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Very cool. I do not think too many "average" guys are buying Crystal Rock. Wow, congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it. Please keep us informed on its durability etc... :thumb:

13. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

There was only supposed to be 20 pots in the world. Have the US pots not all been accounted for yet?

14. LanceM

Hmm. I think Phil may still have some in stock. You want to tally them up?

15. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

I was thinking of it :giggle:

16. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Swissvax only make 20 pots, when all is sold, they take new orders for 20 new pots ;) So it will be more of course.

I love my Crystal rock too. I washed my car this weekend and used Amazing roll off full strenght, and crystal was still sheeting and beading, thats good.

So no its time for a couple of layers with sealent and new layers with crystal rock.

17. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Looks very good but there are a lot of waxes that looks just as good for a lot less IMO. I think some of you guys are crazy spending that much money for a wax. I guess if it make you feel good and you really believe it's better go for it.

18. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I don't know but I sold more than a few of them already.

I still have them in stock so let me know.

2 more.

19. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I love how the water beads are playing pin ball off the fender as they roll off.

Man, I sure do miss having my Swissvax Mystery on my M3...just too dang hot this summer for high nuba waxes( they sweat like a mofo here in 118 degree weather)

Its starting to cool down and i'm already planning for another P21S TAW wash, poly clay, Menz PO85rd via white pad on PC, SV cleaner, 3 coats of SV mystery...CANT WAIT needs to get down to below 90 though!

20. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

well, once you use swissvax you'll think differently. I used to think the same thing but even dave KG's test over on detailing world showed swissvax coming out on top compared to vintage and like 6 other waxes. I really like 1z glanz, and think the reflection is probably the same, but for DEPTH please dont ever tell me you've seen something look deeper than swissvax because u'd just be flat out mistaken