In Need of Bicycle Advice

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I am looking to get into bicycling with my son.

We are not going to start off hard core with 30mile rides or anything. Really just looking for something to do with my son as he gets older. Since he is into sports/fitness I figured this would be a great way to find an activity he is interested in that also interests me so we can get some additional quality time together under our belt.

Not sure if I want a mountain bike, hybrid bike or comfort bike. Primarily will be used for 2-5 mile rides around town and around paved lake shores.

I am hoping to tap into the brain of my fellow DB'rs that may know more than me (little to nothing) about cycles.

Below are some of the bikes I have been looking at for myself - My target budget for my bike is about $350. I don't want to spend nearly as much for my sons bike since I recently bought him a BMX bike which is where his main interest is.

My son and I are both 5'9 (he is 125lbs and I am 200)

Amazon.com: Diamondback 2012 Sorrento Mountain Bike (Satin Black): Sports & Outdoors

Schwinn Crest Urban Men's Hybrid Bike (700c Wheels): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Schwinn 700c Men's Connection GSL Hybrid Bike: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Schwinn Network 7 Men's Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels): Sports & Outdoors

Thanks for any help!

Jason

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

any of those will get the job done, since you are only doing casual rides get something comfortable..........

I would recommend going to a bike shop test riding then buying bikes feel different from frame to frame. Sometimes buying local pays for itself, I bought my specialized locally, I paid a tad more but got free servicing and a discount on replacement wear and tear parts...

3. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I bought a Trek 7.2 last spring and love it. I am looking to get a road bike now though as I'd like to be a little faster.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_2_fx#

When I was looking most the bikes in the same prices range had all the same components, so I'd say just test ride a few and go with what feels the best and not get to caught up in brands names, but I'm not sure if the bikes on Amazon will have the higher quality components.

4. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

As said above, check the local shops. They will ensure you get the right fit. Try to avoid the department store bikes. Cheaper yes, but improper fit and you wont get as much enjoyment out of them.

for the above looking at road bikes:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/

I have a trek 1.2 that i love, but am thinking of upgrading. Possibly to a Ridley or Cervelo.

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I agree with the test ride before you buy.

Also, buying local can have it's perks.

I have a project bike I have yet to start, but it won't be meant for long rides :)