In between car washes...

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by adriankeith, May 11, 2010.

1. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

Do any of you guys/gals wipe down your car regularly in between car washes? My brother recently bought a new car (Honda Civic Si) and he likes to keep it clean. The only thing I'm worried about is how much product he ends up using each time. I bought a bottle of Auto Glym Rapid Detailer and he's just about finished it in what seems like less than a week!

He doesn't have the luxury of parking in the garage nor does he have a car cover. I guess in the long run it might just be cheaper to get a car cover instead of wiping his car down every morning. He had been using Meg's UQD but I can't help but feel like he's going through them so fast.

Another member on here said that Meg's final inspection would be something to consider. Anyways, if you guys can suggest another product or something else he can use that isn't as costly, I'd appreciate it! :worship2:

2. Jav.STi

Jav.STi Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Use ONR diluted as a quick detailer.

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

He might be doing some damange if he is wiping it down every morning. The car is going to accumulate dirt throughout the week and he is going to end up rubbing it into the finish. In the long term he is going to do more harm than good.

I agree with Jav.STI use ONR when possible to prevent damage to the paint on his car.

4. BigAl3

BigAl3 Birth of a Detailer

after i wash and dry, i'll wipe down the car with a QD such as FK425 and then it will not be touched again unitl the next wash. i personally don't like QD'ing in between washes...

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

This topic has been debated on this site. I personally NEVER wipe down my car. I just dont trust any product. Its inevitable that at some point your going to have lack of product coverage on the surface and pull dirt and grime over the clear. I just worry about scratches. I wash it once or twice a week, but I dont mind it being a little dirty for a few days rather then risk doing damage to the paint.

Just me though.

6. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

I've used ONR at detailer spray dilution and poorboy's detailer spray before and it mars my paint if its more than just dusty. I used to park outside.

The trouble areas are the front bumper and near the wheels.

I even tried using a lot of product and causing streaking but does not help.

I would avoid it if at all possible and just do a proper wash.

7. Zechariaha

Zechariaha Any Rag Vehicle Washer

how bad is it to wipe off with very wet clean shamoi then spray wax with cg Cgspeedshine or w/e with clean MF this is what i do inbetween washes.

8. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I don't do anything in between washes. I generally wash once a week or every two weeks. I park in a garage at night but the car sits outside all day while I'm at school, so it does get dusty but never really dirty. I figure any wiping down will inevitably cause damage to the clearcoat. I don't even touch the paint once I've washed it.

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

The only time I qd the car instead of washing is for things like bugs on the front bumper or a bird bomb.

Or the final reason: The car meets I go to are 200 miles away. I can't wash the car there, so I will pull over at a rest stop and wipe down the car just before getting there.

10. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

You're probably marring the crap out of it, it's hard to see on silver(guessing avi is your car) but it will definitely dull down the finish. It's just rubbing the dirt into the paint using the chamois.

11. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

I do the same and use a duster in between to take off the massive pollen around my area. But I don't use it to knock off dirt.

Uber wool duster:
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/theuberwoolduster.aspx

12. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

When I am at home and my car is in the garage, I will use whatever QD I feel like using to wipe it off every day. When I am at school, my car is outside 24/7 and collects dust and any other airborne contaminants which are pretty dangerous in terms of marring without an ONR wash. I learned my lesson early in the semester when I wanted to quickly clean the car before the drive home but didn't feel like an ONR wash so I used ONR at QD dilution to go over the car as lightly as possible... Big mistake, I never did that again from all the marring.

I cannot imagine how he must be applying QD to go through that much product in that space of time. I have never finished a whole bottle of QD (granted, I have a bunch) but even my first QD (Megs UQD) still has a bit left and I use them every single day on multiple cars.

13. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

I dont know if this helps anyone, but I used to carry a sealed bucket. with a gallon jug of water in the bucket and a little bottle of ONR with a grout sponge...I would just strap it inside my trunk and go

14. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

True dedication :applause2: