Implementing the "Slow Cut" Polishing Technique

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Junkman2008, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Junkman2008

Junkman2008 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hey boys and girls, the Junkman here with another video series! This time we introduce another way to maximize the power of your PC buy using a technique that makes up for lower OPM's of the PC-7424 when compared to the RPM's of a rotary polisher. This technique is also great for keeping your pads fresh during the polishing process

This technique was originally conceived to be used with harder type polishes. It enables the polish to be fully broken down and maximizes it's use. What you are going to see is that it can also be used with a liquid polish like Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover. Furthermore, it allows you to use less product, while stretching the mileage of each application. It also saves your pads from getting caked up with product which is a major waste of money and resources when you end up washing it down the drain.

The slow cut technique when used with a hard composition polish can be used on the entire car. However, with a liquid polish, you only want to implement it when your pads begin to fill up with product. The slow cut technique will actually utilize all of the polish build up that is in your pad which allows for the use of less product. This saves the life of the pad, keeps the pad at its maximum cutting ability and saves you money. Those are 3 things that should make a smile appear on your face. :)

Enough talk, let's get to the videos!

[​IMG]

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Video 5

Video 6

Here are some pictures from the experience:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all folks!

The Junkman

2. VooDoo

VooDoo Birth of a Detailer

I prefer a rotary but have used a similar technique for years. Decent detailer spray is a must though. Great vids for beginners to learn with as they cant really stuff anything up going nice and slow.

3. Tech

Tech Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It's the "Kevin Brown Method".

Great that you took the take the time to make the videos.

4. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

It might be renamed the "Billy D Williams" Method :)

They are good videos...

5. Junkman2008

Funny! I had a neighbor named Kevin Brown! Who are you referring too?

6. Tech

The world famous Kevin Brown in California!

Google "Kevin Brown Method"

I think posting specific info might be anti-forum policy as it touches a lot of vendors, opinions, and other forums.

7. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

wow:shakehead:

8. Junkman2008

Wow, you learn something every day, thanks to the Internet. I had not heard of this before, although it appears that the KB method is somewhat a reverse of the slow cut. It seems that the KB method would be considered the "fast cut" method. But hey, I'll digress because it looks like that topic could create a monster thread of its own!

9. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

Of the few times I've used any of Adams polishes I've found them to be pretty average, they tend to fill rather than correct. I'd like to see a similar demo with a better product.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Why the hell is KB so controversial??

He is a member here...

Great videos!

11. Tech

Who knows.
    These detailing forums are way too sensitive.

12. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

You won't see him doing any videos with anything but adams (save for the megs one showing how a pc is safe).

1. its a writeup he has been working on forever and wont post until his paper is complete (went from a megs 105/205 how to to a book on the different polishers and how they work and pads and what they do)

2. his write up mentions specific companies and pads which can be construed as advertisement

Only one I find sensitive is the autogeek forum, and a couple of car specific forums (which i wont get into here)

13. richy

richy Guest

Junkman..I just finished watching your first video...you're funny man! Good job on that. You look like you'd be fun to party with...a lot of laughs.

14. Junkman2008

If the product performed average for you, then you have average skills. One look at the before and after pictures of the trunk of this car clearly shows how powerful the product is. For you to admittedly have limited experience with the product line and then incorrectly post that the product is full of fillers is totally irresponsible to those who have come here to learn and disrespectful to those of us who are extensively experienced with the product line. I don't fill my scratches, I correct them using professional products and techniques. Maybe you need to go back and look at the videos again.

WRONG.

If you had researched all my videos, you will see me using everything from Sal Zaino's products to Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. I also have 3M products in my arsenal for heavy wet sanding correction. There are plenty of companies who contact me for the purposes of trying out their products so I have access to a multitude of brands.

The better statement would have been that "I appear to only use the Adam's line." There is a reason for that. The Adam's line of products caters to the novice detailer, but is also used by professionals alike. From the simplicity in the amount of polish choices that are available to the color coded pad-to-polish system, this product is pretty much dummy proof. It is also one of the few products that can proudly say that it is "made in the USA". Since the information in video form that you find on the Internet is limited in its detail, I have set out to assist the novice detailer with informative, step by step and easy to follow videos so that they will be able to wade through the confusing and contradictory information that you run into when reading threads on detailing forums. The misinformation is abundant and two post in this thread alone are a good example.

Until you've partied with a U.S. Marine, you've just been practicing! :lol:

Maybe we'll meet on the detailing circuit. I'll be everywhere this year doing demos and clinics. :thumb:

15. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

thanks for the vids man, got a pc and rotary but always looking to use the pc to its full potential

16. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

junkman, watched ur vids at dw previously, got to say u are funny, thks for sharing the vids here. =D

17. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for posting Junkman...very informative for the novice detailer. You will find on DB most are sesoned detailers. This Vid would be very helpful on a site like Auto Geek which has a ton of newbies. They like to push their product line, but oh well what works, works. Would be interesting on what the mods would say.

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Junkman I like your style!

I think it is awesome that you can have fun and joke around, but also write out thoughtful intelligent responses... let the haters hate...

19. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Thanks for the vid Junkman! I like your style too, these days with all the internet lingo it is refreshing to see someone who can be funny yet provide in-depth and well-thought out responses.

Love the videos, keep it up! :thumb:

20. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I think the debate is on what does "average" means. Polishes have different characteristics and people have certain expectations or needs. It is not just the final results but how you get to the results.

For example: suitable as one step, works on all paints, short or long working times, works in high humidity. learning curve (getting perfect results)

I am sure anyone who works with a specific polish will learn how to make it work and get great results.