im getting buffer trails

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Kilo6_one, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

OK, this has never happened to me before on an Sti; I have done several Sti's including my own before and today i'm getting buffer trails, I got them when I used a Orange Hexlogic with SIP, and with a green Uber with SIP. Any reason why all of a sudden i'm getting them? I am at a loss. What is wierd is under halogens its perfect, then when I wheel it out into the sun there they are........
    What pissed me off the most was I am using a system that has worked before for me and never had this issue, i did half the car then found them, so I feel I wasted a good part of a day. Its alittle warmer today plus under the halogen, could the SIP be the culprit? Im priming my pads as usual, and not letting them get too packed up.
    I have even used powergloss with a green uber and never had this issue.

any suggestions?

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Wierd...maybe try powerfinish at low rpms or even 85rd on a black uber.

3. Kilo6_one

ok.. question, I have never really understood what causes buffer trails? sounds like too much speed? Im running my PC at 5. too fast?

4. mato

mato Any Rag Vehicle Washer

How long are you polishing before you remove the polish?

5. Kilo6_one

no more then a minute per 2x2
    one or two passes.

6. dave_zok

dave_zok DB Forum Supporter

sounds like the polish is not breaking down enough. I dont think the speed is an issue with the PC. I would try it longer with a little less pressure.

7. Kilo6_one

ok..... Like Rcrew suggested, do you think that switching to a less aggressive pad may be the way to go as well?

8. mato

That's probably your issue in this case, you should be making at least 5-6 slow passes

9. mato

You could also see buffer trails if your pad becomes saturated with product. Which, like previously stated would not allow the polish to breakdown

10. Kilo6_one

thank you guys, all good tips. Try again tomorrow!

11. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i have never got trails from anything but not working the polish long enough...and sip seems to break down very slow and even slower on a saturated pad

12. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

You don't want to finish with sip.

13. Kilo6_one

im not, im using superfinish

14. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

You are getting buffer trails with a PC? I thought buffer trails is only an issue with rotaries when you don't follow correct technique?

15. Kilo6_one

yes, the more I think about what happened is im letting too much product build up on the pad................

16. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Your paint is very soft and with the heat of the summer and the halogens it might tend to be get a little softer while correcting due to the heat. I would step down the pads instead of an Uber orange with SIP then going to an Uber green with SIP. Go with and Uber Green with SIP at speed 5.5 or 5 then an Uber Blue with SIP but at speed 4.5 using light pressure to 4 its key to ease up on the pressure (you dont need alot of pressure even when using SIP with and Uber green to correct your finish so less pressure will help prevent buffer trails). Also make sure you dont gum up the pads with SIP and clear, you need to be cleaning them after each section with at tooth brush or microfiber towel. If you only have one pad in each color stop half ways in the correction and wash the pads. If you have two or more of each color switch it out on the half way mark but still keep the pads clean and only use about 2 to 3 dime sized drops of SIP (spaced out evenly) on the pad so it doesnt gum up on you. Also make sure your switching out your IPA microfibers ever panel or two so they dont cause marring. Hope this helps man

17. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I agree with the majority here too much product saturated in your pad and the sip not braking down all the way

18. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I would agree with whats been said. Soft paint and too much product. I would use the SIP with either the orange or green depending on what you need to accomplish the desired correction. Follow up with Superfinish on green or black. I'd run the machine at 5 for the SIP and 4-5 for the Superfinish. I typically use two or three pea sized drops per 2x2 area, for a couple of reasons. The PC takes longer to break the polish down so by using a little less, it'll break down faster. As well, your pad won't become saturated with product. Good luck.

19. Kilo6_one

Thanks guys........ yes, pads are one thing I bought a ton of. The last Sti I did it was 50 degrees so I think in combo with me being lazy and not swapping pads definitely did not help. You guys are great and confirmed sneaking suspicions.

the car is not bad, just marring, and swirls from a year of washing and general existence again, thanks guys too bad I cant buy everyone a beer!

I will be back at it today........

20. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Like what others have mentioned, probably soft paint and polish wasnt break down. I have not experience holos with PC even on very soft honda black paint. Haziness yes, but not holos. You may want to bump it up to speed 6 to break down of polish faster, after which just tune down for the last couple of passes.