Ideas/Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Tito TW, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Tito TW

Tito TW Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hello Guys, I'm looking for some ideas, so I hope that I can find some of them here;

I'm gearing up to take my work public ( Part Time) to do detailing jobs, this will be mainly for the weekends, I'm working on the insurance and have all the necessary tools to do almost any job.

I’d like to limit myself and offer two packages; I will be dealing mostly with high end cars and fairly new cars, Light paint correction of some source will be incorporated in package B. However, I want to stay away from full blowing paint corrections as they take way too much time.

Package A- for cars to consist of ( what services should be included?) and up to 2 hours of work, for that I’d like to charge $250.00

Same Package for SUV $ 325.00

Package B- for cars to consist of ( what services should be included?) and up to 4-6 hours of work, for that I’d like to charge $500.00

Same Package for SUV $ 600.00

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I don't quite understand this approach, normally it's done the other way around. You come up with certain services to be rendered, you figure out how many hours it will take, then put a price on it.

I am not sure who is going to want to be $250-$325 for 2 hours worth of work, which essentially is a wash 'n wax.

3. Tito TW

I did a search and found this services by a detailer, something similar down those lines without spending 5 hours. Is that an unrealistic target?

Service for those in need of a thorough cleaning, and an application of an all-in-one polish (paint cleaner / polish / sealant). This machine-applied product will clean the painted surface, remove very light swirls and defects, and will leave a long-lasting protective barrier against the elements
    • Exterior delicately hand washed with pH neutral soap.

• All-in-one polish applied by machine to enhance gloss and shine, while correcting very light swirls and marring.

• Door shuts and various jambs are thoroughly cleaned.

• Wheel wells are cleaned and dressed.

• Wheels are gently cleaned to remove brake dust and road grime. Tires are cleaned and dressed.

• Interior and trunk will be vacuumed.

• All interior surfaces to be lightly wiped down.

• All glass surfaces will be cleaned.

4-5 hours
    Price: $300

4. Not trying to stir up a pot of poop :stirpot: but how much expierence do you have in the profesional detailing field? :knit:

To charge the premium price that IMO I think your asking, I feel that person should have a ton of expierence in all aspects of this field(Rotary Buffing, Wetsanding) :buffer:

Maybe I'm just drinking to much Hatorade :drinking2: If you have them lined out the door already :giggle:

5. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

i was going to ask the same question.

6. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

in essence, you'll be charging close to $100/hour +++! That is plain absurd.

Dsms and Phil of DD both charge about $55 and $65 respectively (correct me if I'm wrong guys) and they're in the elitist group of detailers. They do absolutely amazing and fantastic work.

I'm sorry, but at those prices, you'll have a very hard time attracting new customers.
    With that said, start at a lower rate, build your reputation and customer base, once you start becoming reputable and praised beyond belief, bring on the price increases!

7. Tito TW

Thank you all for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

8. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

If you can charge that kind of pricing for what services you listed, I'm moving!!!!

9. Glad you didn't take offense to my response. I'm all for your pricing stategy, however you will be hard pressed to find clients willing to drop off that kinda scratch on a regular basis :sorry:

Also remember, you usually will only have 1 shot at keeping a happy customer. So, if you are targeting these hi-end vehicles I would try and gain as much experience as possible first with some regular beat up daily drivers :peace:

10. Tito TW

No problem, I'm the one that asked for my "Business theory Idea" good or bad I have to accept /respect other opinions :thumb:

Maybe I should bring the time to be spend on the vehicle higher? I will said that detailing a vehicle "properly" with paint correction is a LOT of work, and it takes a LOT of time.

I'm not a detailing super star or a member of any "Elite" detailing group, what I know most of you have probably forgotten already, BUT I think I can hold my own pretty good.:giggle:

Some of you guys do this day in and day out, "RESPECT" because I could never do it every single day.

I'm just trying to come up with something to earn a little extra money doing something that I enjoy as a "Part Time" thing. :tiptoe:

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Find out what your geography will support...

Call around/visit other detailing shops and then price accordingly...

When I did this excerise I then had to decide if I wanted to:

1) Undercut the prices of other detailers in my area
    2) Price at/near the same rate detailers in my area were charging
    3) Price more than detailers in my area and in turn, provide a higher level of service

12. Tito TW

^^^^^^^ Thanks^^^^^^^^

I take choice # 3

3) Price more than detailers in my area and in turn, provide a higher level of service

Since this will be a "Part Time" thing I feel I can certainly take my time with each job, what I'm trying to avoid is the 12 or 14+ hours to do the super detailing jobs.

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Since it's part-time, figure out what your time is worth. For example, do you want to spend your Saturday mornings detailing cars for $50 an hour? Or is it only worth it at $75 an hour? So, figure out what dollar/hour you are willing to take.

Next, take a practice vehicle that belongs to your friend and do him/her a favor by doing it on the cheap. You will be able to see how long it realistically takes you to do a certain job. Since you're trying to avoid the 12-14 hour jobs, you will want to restrict yourself to only wash 'n waxes and one-step polishing jobs.

Take these two factors, offer your customers two flavors, and stick a price on it. DONE!