Ideas for detailing without a garage space?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Kaban, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hey fellas,

I have not really posted much over the last few months. I haven't detailed much either this year, and the reason is... I don't have a garage space any more.

We have a boat that's in the garage and it's taking up all the space, and I really hate detailing outside of a garage. I can do a wash and clay outside, but aside from that, I just feel discouraged to go further than that.

How do you guys deal with it? Especially the mobile guys that detail outside. How do you put up with the sun, wind blowing shit in the air (especially in our unpredictable Chicago weather), and other natural elements? Any tips?

2. Andy6228

Andy6228 Birth of a Detailer

I'd put the boat in storage or get one of those ez up awnings

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Sell the boat. :)

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I agree, it's only a hole that you keep putting money into.

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Dump the boat!

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Perhaps the CC&R's may not allow a boat outside, but if they do, how about putting a custom boat cover on it and it will stay clean and protected, and you can get your garage space back?

The EZ-Ups are pretty good but you would need to get one that is in the 15 x 20 size if you wanted to work underneath it and not have the struts too close to the vehicle, etc.. They are also a pain to put up and take down, then if you have wind, they might get airborne, but they sell sandbags for that. The larger sizes of these things cost several hundred bucks too..

Good luck with this -
    Dan F

7. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Sell boat, use a cover, or buy a outdoor tent that can cover you. We use this tent when trucks/suvs dont fit in the garage.

8. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Thanks guys....

Yeah, I figured the responses would be similar and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It just sucks to not have a readily available garage space. I don't know why, but I lost all interest in detailing this year because of it, stopped coming on forums, or keeping up with the newest products.

I'll see what can be done about the boat, because I want the garage space back before it gets too cold again.

Thanks for your support DB!

9. onefastaudi

onefastaudi Virgin Detailer

Attached Files:

10. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I am in the same boat, no pun intended, I have lost some interest in detailing due to similar reasons. I am looking now at permenant coatings now, I just don't have the time. Plus between the motorcycles and the kids junk I have no garage space, and before anyone suggest it, NO I am NOT selling the motorcycle!