Ideal wait time before adding another layer..

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by RekeHavoc, Apr 13, 2013.

1. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So i just got done applying Menz PL on my car and am wondering what is the ideal time for it to cure, going to be adding another layer or two, maybe topping off with Autoglym HD. I know people say "let it sit overnight" but i want to know in terms of hours. Also, can i use PL as a wheel sealant? Apologies for the noobie question, this is all still a little new to me :p

Thanks guys!

2. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Many consider 12 hours as the magic number for most sealants. I have not seen any official statement from Menzerna. I do know it does not slide off the paint if you get it wet a few hours later.

3. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

Generally for sealants and coatings the higher the temperature and the lower the humidity the faster the product cures, the difference can be quite substantial. A day that is 90F with 40% humidity is a completely different story relative to a cool humid day.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I would say 8-12 hours, hence the "overnight" suggestion. If it's for your own car, just do the first coat late in the day and then apply the second coat first thing the next morning. You could also apply the second coat a week later when you wash the car next.

5. RekeHavoc

Thanks for the advice guys! Going to give it another layer today as i finish up the rest of the detailing process :D

6. random

random Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've used it as a wheel sealant and it works pretty good. I applied by hand, and did most of the barrels too (without taking the wheels off the car). There was noticeably less brake dust, and it washes off more easily. It doesn't seem to last as long as it does on paint, most likely because of the hotter temperatures from the brakes and brake dust itself.

7. RekeHavoc

Yeh im going to give Finish Kare 1000P a shot, once i get it, since it states it can withstand temps of 250 degrees AND you can also use it on your car paint aswell