I think my foam cannon is broken - Anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by JoeyV, Jul 8, 2012.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

So I have a small problem with my foam cannon: it doesn't foam any more. I filled it with my regular solution of soap/water, and I started foaming my car, then about 30 seconds later, it just stopped foaming. It went straight to just water. I don't understand why it did this. I took apart the connector, bottle, and nozzle sections to see if anything was damaged but after cleaning and inspecting everything, I found nothing. Put it back together and still nothing. Anyone have experience with this? Any tricks or suggestions? Should I call AutoGeek and let them know about it or just get a new Riccardo one from eShine? (I have the quick connect, just need the cannon itself)

2. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Did you try everything http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/tools-accessories/33859-mtm-hydro-k-riccardo-foam-cannon.htm

3. JoeyV

No, I didn't try to clean the sprayer end of it because...well I didn't know how. lol. Did yours stop spraying as well before you cleaned it? You think this could be my problem? I'll give it a try Tuesday night when I'll have time and get back to you. In the mean time, if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I forget where I saw it, but there was another DIY for cleaning the foam cannon. It may have been a different model, but there was a pin-sized hole somewhere on it that had a small possibility of being clogged by debris. I'd imagine this is your problem, as the soap instantly stopped. Sounds like there's a blockage somewhere in between the solution bottle and nozzle.

5. JoeyV

This makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. On the piece that the bottle screws into, there is a tiny hole in the top to let air flow in the bottle to replace the space normally taken up by the solution. I'll heck that as soon as I get home tonight.

6. HighOctaneShine

HighOctaneShine Virgin Detailer

Does your cannon allow you to adjust foam flow? If so try turning the knob in the opposite direction... (I have and MTM hydro... which is adjustable)...

7. JoeyV

Yes, it does allow adjustment. I have the MTM as well. I can hear that the air flow going through changes, but it just doesn't create any foam.

8. HighOctaneShine

HighOctaneShine Virgin Detailer

I think there is a filter (inside the nozzle) that might be clogged... I tried looking for the writeup I had seen on taking the MTM apart..... no joy..

9. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

Just follow Hamza's guide, it worked for me when I noticed my cannon foaming less.

10. JoeyV

That's what I did. I went home for lunch and took it apart. The filter is currently sitting in a cleaning solution. Hopefully this fixes my issue. On a side note, I inspected the little hole for the airflow and it was not clogged. So I'm relaly hoping it's the filter the problem. I don't want to have to buy a 3rd one in 2 years.

11. JoeyV

It turns out, I cleaned everything but the part where the problem was. The brass piece, which the bottle screws into, has a second fitting inside it that the tube/straw connects to. That fitting also hides a pin sized hole...which is what was clogged. I pushed a pin through it and blew away the debris and bam, it works like brand new again (Also helps that I cleaned every other part :p)

Anyways, thanks for the help and all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.

This thread has however sparked an idea. Maybe we could create a sub forum in this section where we could post all tool maintenance threads. I know I'm not the only one who's had tool issues, and I'm sure a thread like Hamza's could be beneficial for other as well. Just a thought

12. brk4euros

brk4euros DB Pro Supporter

I like to flush my cannons out with IPA. Anytime I get clogging this seems to solve the problem.