I think I am in over my head (Rim pics)

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Tonya, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Well they are not done but I made progress :thud:
    Products used
    AIO
    Red Magic Clay and a ton of time!
    VRP ~ thanks Wolfpacker!
    Here is what I started with.

2. RTexasF

RTexasF Birth of a Detailer

Do you have a Mothers mini powerball & drill?

3. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

A Mothers mini powerball, P21s gel, Q-tips mixed with the gel, more claying, wheel acid.....that my take on this one. So far it's looking great, hope you are charging accordingly for all the hard work you are putting into this job....

4. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Good job so far Tonya and I would suggest Megs Wheel Brightner diluted 4:1. It is amazing what that stuff will clean.

5. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I hope your getting paid lots of money for this detail Tonya. It looks like it might take you a month.

6. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Looks good so far, I agree with everyone else I hope your getting paid accordingly!!!!

7. Tonya

Got the PM thanks :thumb:
    Thanks for the suggetions. I really don' t want to use the wheel acid on some else's rims. Plus I talked with another member he said I am not ready for acid and I repect that :thumb: He is watching out for me :applause2:
    Thanks Wolfpacker. I already tired ARO. Is Meg's stronger?
    heheheh LOL Nope I asked him to let me try my hand and use his car as practice. He is paying me for the more aggressive clay I had to buy and that is more than far in my book. He is a friend, it's all good:thumb: If it takes me a month to get the rims restored great! I am like a pit bull. When I lock on to something and make up my mind there is no stopping me. It will take me time but come hell or high water I am going to get those rims restored. For some reason I am :crasy: about rims and tires :shrug:
    Thanks! Nope read the above. He is a friend I am not trying to make a profit. I wanted the experience. IMO he did me a favor just as much as I am doing him one :thumb:

8. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Yeah I agree. Ive convinced my bro-in law to let me practice on his old work truck :giggle: and Im still working on my neighbour to let me at his fleet of work trucks :tiptoe: Thats even better than getting some old panels from the junk yard if you ask me.

9. Tonya

Exactly my thought process! Why buy a panel and old rims:shrug: We both get something out of it :applause2:

10. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Tonya, you did a great job getting that etched in brake dust off the hup caps. It's not a easy task.

11. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

what about megs wheel brightner?

12. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

try oven cleaner:yikes:

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Birth of a Detailer

I must ask Tonya, after seeing the outside and inside pics. After all your efforts, are you not worried the car will just go back to looking the way it used to within a few weeks.

14. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Hey Tonya that is quite some progress. My wheels are way worst than that. I don't think I'll ever bring them to the condition you have brought those wheels to :D. One of em has rust on it :p

15. Tonya

Thanks! I was excited to try what I have learned:graduation: from all of you and the countless hours on the forum. I was pleased with my progress but I will not give up until I get the perfect, I HOPE!
    I talked with a few members and called Meg's. I talked to a gentlemen named Tim. He (along with another member) suggested that I not use the wheel brightener since the rims are scratched, etched and pitted. I will let you know my progress. I hope to get another crack at the car this weekend :thumb:
    :yikes: I was thinking mineral spirits, gas, turpentine, kerosene , soft scrub and a brillo pad :shead: ....j/k :rollinglaugh:
    Nope I don't care! I just wanted the experience! He was very please with what progress I made. If I bring it back to life and he keeps up with it fine! If not that is fine too :thumb:
    Thanks!!!
    :yikes: Are you trying to get banned :shakehead:What are you thinking :crasy: go back and edit your post!!!!! Hurry!! I deleted your coments in the quote... now hurry and delete :rollinglaugh:

16. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Lol :p I am in some trouble :thud:

17. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

Two Words ;)

[​IMG]

18. Tonya

Well I tried the 1-800-348-815 # and they had never heard of the product. :shrug: I found another number.
    For a free sample that is guaranteed to save time cleaning wheels, or for more information, contact: Donald Valone at 516-528-4630 or dvalone @rimjuice.com. I called yesterday on my lunch and left a voice mail, plus sent an e-mail. I have had no response yet :shrug: I do appreciate the help:applause2: but I am a dog chasing my tail on this one. :giggle: I wanted to know if it is an acid based product and what the PH is. My concern is the rims are scratched, pitted and etched pretty bad. So I need to stay away from an acid based product. I am going to try the DG 501 this weekend. I will post up pics soon :thumb:
    :thud:

19. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

No offense meant here but you took way too long on those wheels which I believe is due to not using the right tools for the job.

If I had been doing those wheels I would have used TOL's Wheel Wash which is an acid but it works with Oxalic not Hydrofluoric acid. Spray it on and let it dwell for several minutes, perhaps some agitation and then hit it with a power washer and in 5 minutes you would be at that stage you are now.

You may have some residual stuff left over but a second application should have removed the remaining areas.

As long as the wheels are not cracked, peeling or uncoated aluminum the acid is safe.....BUT as with any acid use gloves and try to avoid inhaling the fumes when first applied.

Again I don't mean to come across as putting you down just trying to help and inform for the next wheels you come across like this. They do look 100% better but I'm also sorry you had to go through that much work.

Anthony

20. HAN

HAN Birth of a Detailer

Anthony, is this the wheel wash you're speaking of?:

Power Wheel Cleaner

How does the dilution work i supposedly the cleaners get stronger if you add water?

Thanks for your time,

Pete