i can't stand when i read on detailing forums...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by rfinkle2, Feb 16, 2011.

1. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I can't stand when i read on detailing forums that I must be applying an lsp incorrectly, or that I must be applying too much product.

The funniest thing is, many times those posters are applying that same lsp to a white / silver car and telling me they had no streaking problems, all while I am busy smearing the equivalant of hoagie oil on my black paint.

Plain and simple, some products streak, some polishes don't finish down perfectly etc.
    I have plenty of experience to discern finnicky lsp's vs those that are a breeze to apply.

post here what drives you nuts on detailing forums.

thanks for listenning. i fell better now! :whistle:

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

only the OTC products are like godly posts makes me go nuts LOL
    and possibly computer related dohs but thats cuz its my profession

3. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

This one is just forums in general. Post count whores who reply to specific questions with answers like "I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say Hi!" Or the equivalent. Everyone gets so excited about high post numbers but if 90% of them are just taking up space whats the use?

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

people that think if you are not doing a full correction its not a detail.

people that look down on others who use OTC, and think high end Botique products are the only way to go.

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

People that read something on a forum and then give advice as if it is first hand knowledge/experience without explicitly stating so......

Before pictures in full sun and after pictures in a garage when there is clearly daylight available

6. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

What drives me nuts....... is seeing all the nice cars you pro's get to work on. And then being told by everybody I know I can't make a good living off of detailing.

7. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

What about someone who posts a response on "How do I use M105 that I just purchased" and someone says "get Menzerna".

8. kyoshiro

i think im guilty of your 2nd statement at times but its like face palm sometimes, there are good OTC products out there and started with em but some of it is just purely bad for the car like the armor all wheel gel, it browns the tires :(

9. rfinkle2

i hate it when the forum only discusses the products that the sponsor manufacturers and / or distributes. One thing I like about DB is that it is easily the least biased of the detailing forums.

Without looking, if you read me 3 posts from a site, i bet i could tell you what site i was on.

10. kyoshiro

i bet its the only site that offers free webspace too! LOL
    and the only site with a computer science major lurker 24/7

11. Kilo6_one

I think we are guilty of that to some extent, but I think that is what makes the forum great, there is not too much of that going on; and people here will be the first to tell you "product A is weak because......." not " that product sucks" without justification.

12. rfinkle2

true, but to a much lesser extent than other sites, as you so gracefully stated! lol

it might also have to do with the vendors actually using their own products and continously adding and deleting as time goes on.

13. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I think what bothers me most, is something that can be applied to any forum: When someone who has a different opinion than you disagrees with you and tries to pick out all your flaws and arguments in a post simply because they are a fan of what you don't like.

I also hate when people disagree with someone or they have a debate and one makes a valid point, the other picks on grammar because they have no better argument.... Picking on ones grammar is the equivalent to "nice hair" in a "yo mamma" contest.

14. Kilo6_one

Exactly, forums are not spelling contests or english contests. But I have seen a whole paragraph on other forums and you are "man, its ok to put a period in there somewhere" type issue.

15. rfinkle2

JoeyV- oh yeah... well your Momma uses Turtlewax! lol

16. Denzil

Denzil DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, forums definitely aren't spelling contests or about formal punctuation or grammar. However, I tend to take people less seriously if they can't provide proper coherent sentences.

If you become used to that habit, you can sometimes forget what is proper and what isn't when it comes to applying it to the real world (i.e. job/work).

17. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

LOL! You wanna know a secret? I DID use turtle wax on my moms car hahahahaha. I used it on her crappy stock wheels as a "wheel sealant" because I had nothing else.

Just to clarify though: I mean EXCESSIVE picking at someones grammar. Like if I accidentally spelled "car MEET"...M-E-A-T Or if I made a slightly run-on sentence, and didn't include a comma. Or even a simple typo. THAT gets on my nerves.

18. rfinkle2

i agree with all you wrote joey. im kidding with you. im in a really goofy mood today.

tw ice is one of the best trim sealants on the planet, imo.

19. Kilo6_one

you use TW ice for that too! LOL. I thought I was the only person......... works decent on tires too IMO

20. rfinkle2

1) I hate when the people who do rave reviews get a product free, and when I purchase and use it, it is really no better than anything else I already have.