Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by krshultz, Feb 1, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I like what I see and the specs are great.

3. richy

richy Guest

The Genesis sedan will be my next car. I crawled all around one at the NAIAS and it is every bit as nice as all the reviews have said. The only beefs I have with the way it is now is that I want to see an all wheel drive model available. I'd love to see it offered with a heated steering wheel as well, but that's a small beef. No rear DVD system either, so you'd have to go aftermarket for that too. I can't wait to drive one. There is a V-6 version arriving soon at the local dealer. I want the V-8 but will drive both to see how they differ. Every single review I have read about this car raves about it. And for good reason. This car truly rocks. Financially, the biggest issue I see would be the depreciation....I don't see it holding up as well as the established names.

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

i like the new VW over the Genesis, however the coupe might be a winner compared to like the 350z

5. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

We'll see if the prices match.

If it's gonna be 29,000 or so, I'll take a G37, a smaller engine with 24 more horses and nicer interior. If it's 22,000, it's gonna be a hit. Of course, only time will tell with the reliablity and how much people like them.

6. slow_racer

slow_racer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

yep i think it will come down to reliability, my cousin is a mechanic and he hates working on any hyundai.
    idk what it is tho he just sees too much of them needing repairs.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I guess Hyundai's may have reliability issues but from what I've witnessed, the people who purchase Hyundai's are also the people that don't care much for their vehicles. Perhaps this may attribute to Hyundai's having a bad name? Who knows.

Personally, whatever car I would have, I would definitely take care of it as much as possible. :)

8. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Is it me or does Hyundai copy other car designs? A lot of their older models look like honda accords, mercedes and BMW and this new genesis looks like a G35/37.

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Maybe not copy but definitely mimic... :giggle:

10. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

it is a total POS.. if you think bmw, merc , audi, cadillac are worried go drive it.. you will see they definitely are not.. it is like a toyota camry with a lil nicer interior.. it drives like a camrey or a nissan altima not a luxury car by any means.. just good marketing.. that's it.. it reminds me of when lexus first showed up..if anything it can compete against the camry and the es lexus.. which imo is another joke of a luxury car.. way way too much plastic..i mean the ES is a camry with 5% less plastic.. the dash is worse than the exterior... hideous.. also in regards to the hyundai it is gonna drop fast in terms of depreciation..

you could buy a bmw 328 and since it's resale is so high and it doesn't depreciate much the 3 year total cost of ownership is cheaper than an equally priced camrey.. there is no comparison in the drive and power of the bmw either and it gets 30+ mpg highway better interior though slightly smaller.. rather have that than a genesis copying components in other cars and they aren't even the same model like they say.. the stereo isn't the exact one that rolls uses just one from the same company.. just a total joke. i hate companies that copy others and that is the japanese way it seems. kind of pathetic.. no passion in those cars..and they all look ugly as sin. what do they have the gtr new nsx and lfa? wow look at the european super cars and where their technology is going.. hell honda just had to pull out of F! and still has advertising for it.. i think japan is in touble.. toyota is starting to and the genesis is hurting them much much more than they are hurting europe as their advertising lies, but the numbers don't.. everyone puts that car in competition with a camrey or a honda..not a merc or audi or bmw. the genesis can't compete there.

11. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

The genesis is a entry level luxury car. Its supposed to compete with other entry level luxury sedans (the ES for example)

The coupe is starting in the low 20s ibelieve according to my service manager. I work in a hyundai dealership in parts. Ive sat in the genesis only once. and was very surprised. Its unlike any other hyundai in terms of quality. People should give it a chance, its their first attempt, and a pretty damn good one at that.

12. Bence

Bence Two Bucket System Washer

Hopefully your detailing product evaluations are not as *qualified* as this dunnowhat.

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I think Purple may think I'm talking about the Genesis four door - I'm interested in the coupe.

Very interesting - I didn't know you worked at a Hyundai dealer. What do you think of their cars in general?

I rode to dinner in a medium size MY2007 Hyundai a couple months ago - I think it was a Sonata. I was actually really impressed with it - I hadn't been in a Hyundai in several years, and I came away thinking that they've really come a long way. It was a nice car. The owner said he hasn't had a moment's trouble out of it.

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

It looks like a 350Z. No, hold on, a bit more like a G37. No, it's got the front of an IS350...

Since Hyundai's have horried resale values, you should be able to pick one of these up used for cheap!

15. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Yeah, I guess it's got a bit of G37 coupe to it, but that's not such a bad thing. G37 is a pretty good looking car.

That's a great suggestion. I figured that maybe they held their value better than they did say five years ago, but they probably still don't hold their value like a Honda or a Toyota does.

This is the first time in a number of years that I've seen a new car and thought "Wow, I'm gonna go test drive one of those when it's available." Never would have guessed I'd respond like that to a Hyundai.

16. NCZ13

Korean cars have never been my thing. I thought they were bland, uninspiring, and extremely cheap. However recently, hyundai has really stepped it up. Their cars are much more inspired design wise (although seem to take alot of their cues from other cars). Quality has sure gotten way better than where it used to be. Id also like to mention on the whole reliability thing, I work in parts, so i know the kind of work the techs do most often. Most cars that come in are 15k, 30k, and 60k tune ups. There is very little heavy line work done (engines, tranny work), and most of it is TSB and other warranty work that is more to do with the smaller stuff, not the reliability of the car itself.

The genesis is an entry level luxury car. its not meant to go out and destroy the M line of cars from bmw, or AMG from mercedes. Its an alternative option that has pretty decent power (0-60 in under 6secs with the v8), a nice cabin, which is unlike any hyundai offered before, and looks damn good from the outside.

other than the occasional oil change, i have seen 0 genesis come in for any kind of work.

The coupe while has the genesis badge, isnt a genesis. Its not a replacement for the tib either (according my manager) Its an entry level sport compact car to compete with the mazdaspeed3, wrx, ralliart, gti, cobalt SS etc, as well as a cheaper alternative to the 370z and g37. Its RWD, turbo 4 banger or v6. starting in the low twenties.

Would i buy a hyundai? No. but if someone handed me the keys to the coupe i certainly would not turn it down.

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have a Hyundai Tucson. Bought it used about 3 months ago. Isn't that long to own one, but so far, I haven't had any complaints. I do take care of my vehicles, and when it comes to fluid changes, etc. I always use quality stuff.

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I have to admit that there was one generation of Tiburons that I really liked. I can't remember which generation but I want to guess it was a 3rd gen. I figured that Hyundai would eventually come out with a vehicle that more people would like for the sport compact scene.

19. Nica

Nica Banned

I don't know about the car but I like there website :thumb:

20. NCZ13

it probably is the msot recent gen. It looks pretty decent. The first gen tib is probably the ugliest car ever designed.