hows the dupray hill injection steamer on exteriors? bye bye Optima steamer

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Jose206, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jose206

Jose206 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Ive been looking all over the forums to find any info on the dupray hill injection steamer. Really interested in seeing what type of results owners of the dupray steamer are getting on exteriors. Right now I have the optima steamer but im tired of having to lug the thing around in my van since im just mobile. I really do LOVE this machine but it really is a pain keeping it in my van at all times so Im looking to get something more portable. I would really like to know what you owners of the Dupray hill injection have to say about the machine.

2. bjungx007

bjungx007 Birth of a Detailer

the dupray is not as strong as the optima... For exteriors it takes more time to wash the car compared to the optima. When using the dupray steamer for a long period of time the heat levels drop to the 140-160 and you gotta wait a couple minutes for it to get back to temp. Thats the experience ive had with it and i just stick with the traditional pressure washer/two bucket for washes. Maybe you should look into getting waterless wash sprayer/systems. Hit me up if youre interested in a Dupray Hill Injection.

3. Jose206

About how much longer would you say it takes with the Dupray to wash a car? I haven't really looked into waterless washes simply because I would still like pressure when cleaning wheels and tires. The nice thing about having a good steamer to do all this is not having to depend on a water source aside from keeping a couple 5gallon buckets of water in the van.

4. Jose206

Anyone else try doing exteriors with the dupray? The Optima can take about 10-15mins to do a quick wash and spray wax on a coupe or sedan. I dont mind if it takes a little longer, just as long as I can get by if I wanted to do a quick wash and wax out of my sedan.

5. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

check out the NB2300 on youtube

6. Jose206

Thanks 604, I saw some of Kevins videos and that just might be what im looking for. The two gallon water capacity was the only downside I noticed but that should be fine for doing one car at a time. I would keep my optima if I had a shop but that just doesnt interest me at all, I enjoy being mobile.

7. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Jose206,

Is the issue with the Optima getting it in and out of the van? There are lifts you can purchase and the option of an enclosed small trailer as well. I own the Dupray Hill Injection (DHI) and love it, but as bjungx007 states using it for washing vehicles is not its forte. You can run it without the nozzle inserted and get a broad spray out it that I believe is better suited for washing vehicles. I'm also intrigued with the NB2300 and gave it heavy consideration before purchasing DHI, but it's only 120v. The DHI model I would have purchased—if not for the inconvenience—is the 240v version. These steamers are really made for 240v where they shine at doing what they do best.

8. Jose206

It wasnt that I had to take it out and put it back in, it was having to always use a van for it. I just like to have the option of doing details out of my sedan but still have a steamer with enough power to do a wash. I can understand and am tottaly ok if it takes ~20mins to wash a car with my next steamer, as long as it can do a wash and is compact enough to fit in my trunk.

9. 604_Snooze

I doubt there is any small size steamer that can fit your sedan trunk and can wash the exterior of a vehicle. 120v compare to 240v, of course the 240v will heat up faster and more powerful. The nb2300 is small and is continuous fill, but I think it require 18amp+ outlet. It is hard to find a 240v or a 18amp+ outlet in a garage, or maybe you have your own generator.

So you might as well stay with a pressure washer or move up to a diesel steamer. Where do you live, Jose?

10. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

There are three (3) settings you can use with the DHI: at the low setting you can pretty much cruise for extended times; when you kick-up to the higher setting matters change quickly as does its cleaning power; pressing the momentary button (the other two buttons are rocker switches) produces scalding water and all hell breaks loose! It's definitely not a toy and the hose fittings for the DHI are brass—not like the lower temperature fittings used on the lesser models. I've not done any of my vehicles in regards to cleaning the exterior with my DHI. I might give it a try, but I prefer water as I'm leery as to how much of the grit is smeared around the paint surface and other finishes. Since the steamer (any steamer for that matter) is pressurized, grit will be blown off the surface, but until someone produces studies with magnifications of the paint surface demonstrating both water and steam I'll just stick with water.

Just went to Dupray's website and they now have newer version of the DHI. I have zero regrets about my DHI purchase. My wife really loves how it cleans around the house, but that's an issue with me as I get stuck doing it!

11. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

it looks like the dupray machines all got a face lift on the exterior...

it looks much better than the previous versions

12. 604_Snooze

yup, it looks more rounder now.
    just keep your optima in your garage or get a Van.

13. Jose206

Im up here in washington 604. I actually contacted kevin and he said he no longer sells the nb2300. Im strictly mobile so I went ahead and sold it to someone who could get better use out of it. I do kind of miss my optima but also realize I couldnt keep it for doing mobile only, too much hassle. Looking forward to my dupray since I can even use that inside my home. I hear opti clean and onr work great on exteriors with the dupray hill injection. The hill Injection is actually on sale for $2257 which I thought was a decent price.

14. 604_Snooze

have you looked at the carmen super inox?

15. Jose206

No I havent, is that also from dupray?