How would you polish these?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Denalio, May 7, 2008.

1. Denalio

Denalio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have staining/oxidation build up on my aluminum running boards. As you can see they have rubber grommets. How would you polish these and what would you use, product and tools? Really don't want to do them by hand. I have done it and it is time consuming. I have used Flitz in the past by hand, but the oxidzation comes back.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

can the piece be seperated from the rubber?

3. Denalio

No. The inserts are glued in. I tried that.

4. Peugeot

Peugeot Birth of a Detailer

That's a perfect example of a horendous design. Rubber pieces glued in!

I'm assuming this is your personal ride?

I'd look to both a factory replacement (before I installed them, I'd put down a dozen coats of clear on them. But the rubber nubiles make that kind of difficult. If you buy new, the problem will probably creep back.

Another option is aftermarket.

That piece should have never made it to the floor!

5. Denalio

Yes it is a problem with most new BMW X5's. I may try to get the dealer to replace. So far no one on any of the forums has been successful on dealer replacing.

6. DetailingForever

DetailingForever Virgin Detailer

If it were my personal ride...I'd replace them with aftermarket and forget about it. Thats a terrible design. About the only thing you could try on that is an aluminum acid wash or aluminum brightener. Spray on rinse off.It will look better but never look good. Most likely it will give the aluminum a milky white look/stain.

7. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

How about coating them with bedliner roll-on or spray??

8. Denalio

Well the other problem is there are no aftermarket fitment for this vehicle. Also the boards are designed into the body at the factory level. Even using aftermarket just would not look right.

9. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

ok..I have done aluminum fuel tanks on trucks looking like your running boards..I used Duragloss AC (Aluminum Cleaner & Brightner) and it worked good....it may work on the running boards...worth a shot....try a carquest near you to see if they can get it for you..its about 7.50 a bottle.......

Duragloss AC (Aluminum Wheel Cleaner) is a blend selected acids and surfactants that easily removes brake dust, oil and road film from dull and semi-dull aluminum wheels. Can also be used on other aluminum surfaces such as pontoon boats, tankers, etc.

it does clean aluminum pretty good.....will not harm the rubber....

AL

10. Denalio

Thanks Al,

Will it hurt plastic trim?

11. Al-53

I am not sure on plastics....so do not want to give wrong info..but you can call DG and ask for Jerry..and he will tell you if is going to work for you....I do not think it will melt it...lol...but not sure about a stain....but call ...they have a 800 number and they love to talk products and how they are used....

but if it can be used it will clean it....

AL

12. Denalio

Here are a couple more pics to give you an idea of the running board location and trim. The pic of the inside is when it was brand new.

Attached Files:

13. Al-53

Denalio....i would say tape it off...but still best to call DG and explain to them....and see what they say....

Al