How would you clean this? Beyond saving?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by DaytonaJae, May 2, 2011.

1. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

My new-to-me 07 Mercedes E350's Navigation Screen...

Discoloration along the edges, and the surface either is finely scratched or a previous chemical has left its residue.

I have tried 1Z Cockpit and Adam's Leather & Interior cleaner with a MF glass towel with no improvement. I'm afraid to use any more strength than simple wiping with moderate pressure.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I've seen someone else have a problem similar to this on some other forum. Did you get the car from a dealership? No matter what you use I would be careful. Those units can cost up wards of $4k+.

To me it looks like someone applied some sort of previous protection to the screen.

3. DaytonaJae

Yes but it was a small independent dealer on the west coast. There's no warranty existing. My extended warranty only covers mechanical.

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I'm almost pretty sure it might be the anti-reflective coating coming off. It's pretty common on a lot of nav screens.

5. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Just detail really nicely around the nav screen. It'll draw attention away from it and your problem will be solved for free. Otherwise I think you'll need a new screen and it's really not worth replacing

6. MtnRyder

MtnRyder Virgin Detailer

Looks like sun damage to me...in pics appears woodgrain is even a little sun faded?? If it is sun fade you can use a good plastic cleaner (like what you'd use for plastic convertible top window) as everyone else has said just be careful...light rub:chillpill:

7. DaytonaJae

Thanks guys, I'm afraid to try an APC in fear it might etch or discolor the screen further. Perhaps a mild soap with something like a chopstick (lol) wrapped with a MF towel to try and get the edges? My first thought was a chisel to get the edges all the way to the edge but even wrapped in MF that idea gives me shivers.

That sounds like a good theory. Once the coating is gone I suppose you can't ever get it back without replacing the screen :(

8. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

There are plenty of nav screen coatings you can purchase and easily apply yourself if that's the case. No need to have to replace the unit.

9. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

its possible to remove the whole unit and carefully take off the plastic bezel so its just the screen. then u can do a better job polishing all the way to the edge.
    id start with a clear plastic polish as mentioned then move to an AIO if needed. ive even used m205 with good results on scratches.

10. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

i forgot to mention i agree that it is an anti glare coating. rubs off easily over time from the oils from your finger.

11. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

Try Swissvax Plastic wash and Protecton Matt. that might work...