how to use woolite

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by ampbmw, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

i see 50/50 mixes on here

i was gonna mix a half gallon of water and a half gallon of woolite in a gallon bucket then buysome all purpose sprayers and pour the mixtures into a couple bottles and use as a spray...
    IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY TO USE IT?

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I personally don't use woolite...but i think people use it from 15:1 to 4:1...(water to woolite), not 50/50...but i could be wrong.

3. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have always seen 7(water) :1 (woolite) or 10:1 for use as an all purpose cleaner. I used 7:1 to clean some leather.

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

As per ScottWax on Autopia, I do a 50:50 and it works perfect.

5. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

The only thing Ive ever used it for is carpet mats. That was an 8:1 ratio. I dont believe it should be used on leather.

6. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

can be used on anything no worries

i use it at 7 to 1

7. P1et

Woolite cleans leather like a bastid! Very safe.

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Well theres some debate about that. You may want to consider doing a little more research around other boards?

9. arousa

arousa Virgin Detailer

I mix 50/50 and it cleans really well. I use it on carpets. Never use it on leather for customers cars but I do use it on my leather sofas and it cleans very,very well then just use a conditioner and your set.

10. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I use it 6:1. Its a great cleaner. I personally don't use it on carpets but more for simple interior cleaning.

11. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

1:1 is way too strong. 7 or 8:1 is where you want to be.

12. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

haaha looks like everyone has thier own take on how to use it lol...so it seems to work good on alot of stuff lol

13. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

I've settled on 8:1 after trying other dilutions.

14. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

I'll add that personally I stopped using it. It dried my hands out some awful.

15. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

IMHO one should always strive to find dedicated products for the application/ process you are working on.

Woolite has a number of issues that do not lend to long term quality care of interior car parts and components.

Despite what people say i can still get it to fluoresce with a black light. That means it has uv brighteners. This can lead to premature UV degradation in areas that need protection from UV. IE dash, plastics, leather.

On top of that you are applying a detergent that is meant to be rinsed fully. IE flush rinsed. into a situation where it is not flush rinsed. As it dry's it will re attract dirt. Because that is what detergents are designed to do. This can over a period of a few details lead to rapid resoiling with some pretty nasty effects.

Leather does not react well to wet products. Water is the fastest way to "dry" out the leather of it's natural oils and tannins. making it slick and stiff. When using woolite, yes even on coated or protected, you speed up this process. The leather will look clean, but it will become dry and brittle aiding in the creasing and cracking.

my 2 cents in a world of 20 dollar bills.

16. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Thats great info Aaron. What have you been using as a replacement for leather and interior cleaning??

17. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

Honestly i have 3-4 depending on the severity of the interior.

Plastic, vinyl, and odd non leather bits.
    Poo bag car:
    I will clean with 1z plastic and a boars hair brush. Then i will top off with 1z cockpit premium.

Medium dirty car:
    I will clean with 1z blitz and boars hair brush. I will top off with 1z cockpit premium.

Lightly dirty car:
    I will clean with 1z cock pit premium boars hair and a yellow Micro fiber.

Leather care.

First vacuum and remove chunks.

Heavily soiled car:
    Brush with leather masters strong cleaner and boars hair brush. Let dwell for 30 seconds. Buff off with yellow MF. Repeat process after 20 min.

Apply leather masters leather vital with foam applicator pad repeat process after LM vital has fully soaked in.

Apply Leather masters protection cram via foam pad.

Lightly soiled car:

Strong cleaner x1,
    Vital x2
    protection x1

Polish seal and clean cars. (my basic package.

1z leather care x1

18. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Fantastic information grouse!!

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Yup, I agree :nod: great info there Grouse, thank you for sharing :thumb:

20. P1et

This is some good info, thanks for posting!

PS: I still hate doing interiors!!!