how to strip any LSP safely

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Misha, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

well there is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and grime ripper. what stuff can i get at home depo (Zep or simple green?) that will do same for less. by savely i mean it will not harm clear coat.
    please list product and delution ratios. thanks

2. NotZeroSix

NotZeroSix Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I dont mean to hijack your thread but it relates to your question. Can you strip LSP with an IPA wipedown? I know its good to use after each pass. But then again, if IPA is good, then whats the point of paint cleansers?

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Zep Citrus stuff will strip the lsp off your paint and is really cheap. That is your best bet IMO if you want something inexpensive and works.

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

CG citrus wash and clear (or citrus wash and gloss will work too, but leaves glossing agents behind) is pretty cheap already isn't it? It's a car wash and LSP stripper in one, and for about 20/gallon.

I'm sure you could use something like Meguiar's APC for it too, but then you'd have to use a separate shampoo as well.

I use Optimum Power Clean at 3:1 on all lower panels and nasty areas, along with all panel gaps, door shuts, and badges when I'm doing a prep wash for a detail. But that is more for loosening up grime then for removing LSP.

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i used Zep Citrus straight up with CG CWC in my foam gun to strip down lsp. usually that gets most of it off. followed by a hand wash with CWC. if that doesnt get it all off, claying and then following that up with a IPA wipedown will.

yes, you can. but its not really something you want to do without washing first. like i said, if you still have some protection on the car after your wash process, claying will probably remove the residual LSP and IPA wipedown will most likely take care of the rest.

6. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

u think laquer thinner will strip LSP? ROFL

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I add 1 oz of Zep Citrus to a 5 gallon bucket filled with CWC (learned this from Bill). That usually takes most of it off, but I always do a IPA wipedown to make sure.

8. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

so pretty much any kinda citruis wash will strip any LSP off. ill see what home depo has as far as that. they had some kinda professional line. ill see

9. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

CWC LSP stripping ratio is 2 oz per gallon...thats 10oz of soap in a 5 gallon bucket.

10. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

home depot will have the Zep citrus degreaser. get two gallons. its only like 9 dollars each i think. trust me, you'll end up using it a lot. i have 5 gallons in reserve just cause i know ill use it. i use it in leu of P21S TAW. and on the label it says not for automotive finishes etc. dont worry about that, its safe. just dont let it sit on there forever.

11. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

aquasol, prepsol or 3m wax remover, not the cheapest but work the best, its what bodyshops use for prep

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I also use Rust Oleum Wax & Tar Remover with great results.

13. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

ok. ill look for that stuff. ill look at topp automotive as well since they do paint show supply, they gotta have something there.

14. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, I use 3 gallons max when doing a prep wash.

In fact, I can't think of any time I've put over 4 gallons in a 5 gallon pail.

15. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Prep-All is the same. Both can be bought at walmart. I use this stuff too :D

16. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Roger ... the only thing I don't like about using this product is that the microfibers need to be washed separately. The wifey wasn't happy when she smelled the chemical residue left in the washer.

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

ah, tell her to bite it. thank goodness, my wife dont complain.

18. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

For our own cars that are usually very heavily protected and do not need clay I take a lot of steps to fully strip off prior LSP, most basic is presoaking (not foaming) the finish with a biodegradable APC 5:1 than washing with something citrus based than going for IPA wipedowns 2-3x.

FOR customers cars people seem to forget that claying will strip away at least some of the LSP. So if your doing a strong pre-foam and then a citrus type wash AND claying and then maybe a quick alc. wipedown before correction you should be fine.

19. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

this stuff i want for my own car couse i got couple different waxes on different panels for testing and want to strip everything in spring and put 1-2 waxes on it

20. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

here is what home depot has
    ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser
    Fabuloso All-Purpose Cleaner
    ZEP Industrial Purple Cleaner
    Pine-Sol All-Purpose Cleaner

i asume first one is the one to get