How to safely remove pen mark on dashboard?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Suberman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

I'm not sure how this (what looks like) pen mark got onto my dashboard!!:yikes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm blaming the dealership again as there is no way i could've done that myself. I can't understand how that could've happened as well.:shrug:

What is the best way to safely remove that and not discolour or mark the vinyl dashboard?

Thanks in advance.

2. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

mr clean magic eraser

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Do not use a magic eraser, they are abrasive. Use solvent on a microfiber. It might take a little while to dissolve but I did a truck at work the other day that had the same problem and solvent took care of it with no side effects. I can't guarantee it won't discolor it but it didn't at all for me.

4. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

you can also try using hair spray....be smart about it, don't let it sit long, don't use a lot. Blot rather than rub so you dont rub the finish off. Same as reflect, I can't guarantee it won't discolor or change texture slightly so try it in an inconspicuous spot first before going at it. Do at your own risk!

5. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

What solvent was used? Something like IPA? What type of dash did the truck have? Mines vinyl. What about stuff like WD40? Or a dab of oil? I've had great success cleaning some tough stains off using oil.

6. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

dont think singapore sells mr clean magic erasers but yea its abrasive so dont do it
    what I am worried about is the fact that the surface may be dyed/etc which may cause slight issues with chemicals
    but yea i'd prob try a swab stick with alcohol and try to remove it via that
    or maybe we could look up the ink chemical composition and then do some magic with that...

7. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

ink chemical composition.... Hmmm... How do i go about finding that out?

Looks like alcohol and solvent are highly recommended. Any particular solvent?

8. kyoshiro

"A more recent development in dye-based inks are dyes that react with cellulose to permanently color the paper. Such inks are not affected by water, alcohol, and other solvents. As such, their use is recommended to prevent frauds that involve removing signatures, such as check washing. This kind of ink is most commonly found in gel inks and in certain fountain pen inks."
    from wiki, try alcohol first and see how it works out :S

9. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

What about stuff like Wurth clean solve? Wurth Clean-Solve

10. kyoshiro

That could work, I'd say give it a try as it seems to be good for vinyls. You could ask Richard if Prewow will work in this situation as it could dye transfer.

11. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

Thanks for all your help buddy. = ) How do i contact Richard?

12. kyoshiro

post under the blackwow category as im assuming that his acct may also have been shot with the upgrade as with chris@optimum as well