How to preserve Clay Bar?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dschia, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Is there any efficient method to store your clay bar? I kept mine in a plastic bag and put it in a namecard holder. It seems like it lost quite alot of the 'stickyness' after i took it out for the second time, should i keep it moist for a longer lifespan? By the way i am using soft 99 clay bar(jap brand). Previously i tried a Moxi Clay Bar(Jap brand also) and it is the opposite from the soft 99, instead of turning less sticky, it became extremely sticky till I had a hard time seperating the plastic that wraps it.

Care to share how you people keep your bar.

These are the clay bar i used

soft 99
    [​IMG]

Moxi
    [​IMG]

2. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

I keep mine in small travel soap dish containers. In the past I've kept them wet with a spritz of qd but found after not using it all winter mold had grown.

Keeping them in a cool place will help alot with the preventing the clay from sticking to the container.

3. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

i keep my griots Clay bar in its tub, which i fill almost to the top with speedshine. keeps it nice and plianble and sticky and doesnt dry out...

4. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

A ziplock works for me, even saran wrap

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I normally just spritz some QD to wet the bar, then put it in a ziploc. I haven't experienced the mold issue, but I could see how it could happen. I keep mine in the cold unheated basement. Maybe that prevents mold from growing.

6. eShine

eShine Guest

Keep them in a glass or sealed jar of distilled water and they will never get hard.

7. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

Zip-Lock bag and in the original container.

8. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Hey, this thread came back alive!

Will keeping clay in in a jar of distilled water deteriorate it? Honestly i couldn't judge whether when should I change a new clay bar. Sometimes, apparantly the clay bar looks clean but as the 'stickyness' and 'stiffness' change, I wonder am i really claying the vehicle properly. I do face marring mark sometimes after claying and drying the vehicle. Is it due to claying technique or over using of the clay bar?

9. eShine

eShine Guest

I would hate to tell you it wont hurt your clay then it does but I can only say from personal experience I have had clay bars sit in distilled water for 2+ years and they were like new.

10. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I think the more aggressive clays have a higher change of marring the paint. So the finer grade ones would be sufficient for you since you regularly maintain your paint.

By the way, where do you find soft99 and moxi? Are you in Malaysia or something? My searches for it only referenced retailers in malaysia.

11. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

2+ yrs! Omg, that is a long time.

I am in Singapore.=)

12. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

marring depends on if the contamination is brake dust, exhaust gases and light stuff in the air or if it is heavily soiled with iron filings.

the filings picked up by the clay causes the marring

13. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I store my clay in travel soap dish or original container, and place it in a ziploc bag.