how to know if my leather is treated

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by uncleglenny, Dec 8, 2008.

1. uncleglenny

uncleglenny Two Bucket System Washer

hey peeps on my 2006 focus I'm just wondering if the leather is "treated" want to place order and need to know what to get.

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

By treated you mean seal with a type of laquer?

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've used Autoglym for years and it works well but if you don't get all the residue off it will dry white. I have been using Lexol for about a year and love it. Other guys on DB have raved about Swisswax and Leatherique as well. Buy from a reputable retailer like eShine or Detailers Domain and you'll be fine.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

To determine if your leather is protected with a polyurethane covering (used in 95% of current vehicles); lightly scratch the surface to see if it leaves a lighter colour, or place a few drops of water on the upholstery surface; if it ‘beads’ it’s a pigmented polyurethane coated finish. Liquids will not penetrate protected leather. These leathers are more common in the automotive industry Using split leather produced from the lower cut or split of the hide is a relatively new development. It is normally produced in darker colours and when stretched, it lightens. It also scratches quite easily. This type of leather is now coming on to the furniture market, but has been used for automotive upholstery, handbags and belts for some time. As the top surface has high polyurethane finish, normal leather creams or oils provide absolutely no value (see conditioners).

5. 911Fanatic

Excellent info togwt. Is there anything that you CAN use on your leather if its got the polyurethane finish?

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The light conditioners and cleaners in Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' (detailers Domain) are appropriate for all synthetic materials, including covered leather, vinyl and plastic. An intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

Unlike cloth or leather, the surface of polyurethane generates static, which attracts dust. As a result, it can quickly become grimy, although vinyl and polyurethane covered upholstery is the easiest to clean. Do not use regular household soap and water as they will permanently remove the sheen

Follow these easy steps for the perfect polyurethane covered automotive upholstery interior:
    1.Wipe surface with a damp micro fibre towel
    2.Spray all vinyl surfaces with Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger'
    3.Work the cleaning solution into seams, edges and seat backs using a sponge or towel. If necessary, use an old toothbrush to get into the small crevices.
    4.Dry the vinyl with a clean, soft towel.
    5.Finally, apply Optimum Leather Protectant, which provides covered leather with a low-gloss, non-greasy, as well as UV protection

See also Basic Automotive Leather Care

7. uncleglenny

uncleglenny Two Bucket System Washer

wow thanks great info ....would vinylex provide the same affect as Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger and Optimum Leather Protectant in one product?

8. 911Fanatic

You rock!!

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I like Vinylex a lot, but I don't think it's a particularly effective cleaner. Just my 0.02.