How to Clean the Interior of a Classic 1963 Aston Martin DB4 with HD TOTAL

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by David Fermani, Dec 26, 2012.

1. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

With the re-released new & improved version of HD TOTAL soon to hit the market, I thought I would tempt everyone with a small example of what HD TOTAL is capable of accomplishing. Here’s a 1963 Aston Martin DB-4 valued at nearly $2 Million equipped with its original leather interior that I decided to restorically clean with my all-time favorite cleaning product. This interior had certainly seen better days and was in desperate need of a surface appearance reconditioning. The owner firmly believed that a total restoration was in order, but I assured him that I had a solution that would keep that option at bay.

I originally fell in love with HD TOTAL back when it was released in 2009 when I volunteered to test this product for 3D. Many might remember this product review thread I created: http://www.autopia.org/forum/detail...dirty-ferrari-w-high-definition-products.html

Basically for those who aren’t aware, HD TOTAL is an All Purpose Cleaner that can be diluted to the desired level to cater not only to the extreme cleaning power needed of a greasy engine compartment or grimy wheels, but also to the most gentlest manner for delicate leather surfaces like this uncoated European classic leather interior . HD TOTAL can be used straight when you truly need a heavy hitting cleaner, but also be diluted up to 10 to 1 for extremely sensitive applications such as this application making it a very versatile, but efficient cleaner that can wear many hats in your product arsenal. One of the reasons why this product is able to sustain its cleaning power with such a wide range of dilutions is the implementation of special super cleaning polymers that has been reintroduced into the latest version. What also makes this possible is the use of special proprietary non-caustic ingredients that gently break away and clean dirty build up from virtually any surface. Unlike most cleaners, HD TOTAL is 100% biodegradable and will not white out trim or leave a troublesome residue on the surface after removal. It’s also very safe for your skin and will not give you any respiratory distress like other cleaners on the market are prone to doing. Hopefully after this thread you’ll be interested in giving HD TOTAL a look.

So onto the interior of this Aston Martin…...

Befores showing how soiled, dark and dirty the interior was prior to cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a shot of this car’s Owner’s Manual and its instructions for cleaning. I think we’re gonna bend the rules a little
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st, I removed the flooring and rear seats:

[​IMG]

This also gave me a lot more room to move around in the rear seat area:

[​IMG]

The tools needed for this cleaning operation. HD TOTAL, Drying towel, Flushing towel & special soft bristled hand brush.

[​IMG]

***WORKFLOW:

Spray HD TOTAL unto dampened brush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gently apply to surface and lightly agitate to release soiling:

[​IMG]

Wipe surface removing initial broken down soiling:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT TIP: Next, take damp towel (rung out) a wipe down surface again. This will not only flush any remaining dirt and chemical from the surface, but will also give final hydration to your finish. You can do this after each section or at the end of the interior cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a short video of the basics of how the leather was cleaned:

[video=youtube;NNoOmmcCVO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNoOmmcCVO0[/video]

Here’s the water looked like after just one seat.

[​IMG]

Here’s some 50/50 shots that tell a huge part of the story:

FRONT SEATS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

REAR SEAT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OTHER surfaces were scrubbed via Toothbrush::applause2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s an interesting turnaround:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foot Pedals scrubbed of course:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miscellaneous Trim:

[​IMG]

Process for Fabric:

Before:

[​IMG]

Pre-soak stains/soiling with HD TOTAL:

[​IMG]

Aggitate:

[​IMG]

Mix 3D Carpet Shampoo:

[​IMG]
    Apply foam to surface and work in:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vacuum:

[​IMG]

Dry with Towel using it to lift away residual soiling as well:

[​IMG]

Let them dry out in the sun:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

The rest of the interior cleaned up great with HD SPEED:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after about 6 hours of work, here’s the final product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Follow 3D Products for more information on HD TOTAL: 3D Car Care; Car Wash, Car Wax, Auto Detailing supplies, Car Polishers, Car Buffers & accessories store

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks awesome David!

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

sweet job David!

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Wow! Incredible work on a very cool car David!

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Wow! Great job!

6. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Awesome David !!!

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Hey old Friend !

That looks just great !
    James Bond would be so proud !

I will check out the product/s and see how they work.

Thanks for sharing -
    Dan F

8. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

DAYUM!! Great save on a beautiful classic!! The owner HAD TO BE STOKED!!!?

9. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

The HD Total sounds similar to the 303 Industrial Cleaner concentrate.

10. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

David, when will this be made available for purchase? Will this new formulation be safe on paint?

And finally, what will a gallon of the concentrate go for?

11. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

damn nice!!!!!!

12. richy

richy Guest

David, fantastic job! Have you tried steam in conjunction with the HD?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

13. David Fermani

!Wow! Thanks everyone for the great comments. I'm gad you liked my review thread! :thumb:

Thank you Ken! :crasy:

Thanks vtec! :headbang:

Thank you for the compliment Brian. The car at 1st glance didn't look that bad, but as soon as I bit into the 1st section of leather I knew I was in for a all day event. :doh:

Thanks Pureshine! :applause2:

Thanks rwisejr! :claping:

Hello there! How the heck are ya Dan? Please do and let me know if you need any assistance. I'd love to help. :beerbang:

Thanks SRTLUVR! :agree: Yes, when I sent him a 50/50 he was both disgusted and pleased at the same time!

Not sure as I've yet to try any of the 303 cleaners, but I certainly wouldn't refer to HD TOTAL as "indusrial". More like powerful, but very safe. :flowers:

HD TOTAL will be available in the next 2 weeks and will be available in 24 ounce and Gallon sizes. Price has yet to be confimred, but will most likely be around $25/GL or less. And remember, it is very concentrated and can be diluted up to 10 to 1. :gidiup:

Thanks Upper Class! :cig:

Thanks Richy! No steam as of yet. I'm a old school more mechanical kind of guy when it comes to interiors. :chris:

14. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Nice improvement.

15. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Wow those seats must have had a seriously thick layer of crud on them to have changed color so dramatically after cleaning.

Might have to try my first HD product. So a quick wipedown with a damp MF is all that is needed to remove any residue? Is there any stickiness to the surfaces that were cleaned?

The 303 cleaner is safe too. You can even clean your produce with it at like 100:1. It is a colloidal cleaner that you can dilute anywhere from FS to 200:1. Non-solvent and leaves no residue. It don't think they sell it anymore under that name. Might be called the Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner now. I used to use it alot, but moved onto using 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner/Cockpit Premium and AG Interior Shampoo for interiors. I have had a gallon of the 303 cleaner sitting for a couple of years that I only use here and there once in while.

16. David Fermani

Thanks cnut!

Dirt isn't clear obviously, so yes cleaning/removing decades of build up on this light of a color can surely make a big recovery for sure!
    Yes....(and this goes for all interior component cleaning for that matter), you should 1st remove the initial layer of soiling that you've loosen up. There will still be a residue of dirt and chemical left behind after this point so you'll want to remove that again. But this time with a damp towel (cotton or MF) as the surface may already be dry. Wetness will also give it a very nice and even look. Make sense?