How often do you polish/paint correct your vehicle

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by LanceM, Jan 13, 2008.

1. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

Obviously, proper washing techniques will eliminate most marring/swirls. However, sometimes it happens with washing etc and most of us are pretty OCD about our vehicles.

How often do you guys paint correct? I have light swirls ( I mean really light), but when I look at my car I want to get rid of them. I think 106 and a white pad would most likely remove them.

I guess the safest thing to do is get a paint gauge and see how much I'm taking off. But thats a chunk of change.

Just looking to see how often you guys do correction on your own vehicles.

2. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

On my daily drives I do paint correct a couple times a year. Since I keep them in good condition I normally only have to use a light abrassive polish.

Now my showcar I only do paint correction about once a year.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Since I am planning on keeping my truck for a while, it's been about a year and a half since I've polished mine.

I'd rather keep glazing it than polish it.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Your heading in the right path about using the proper washing technique.

As for polishing I'd have to agree with P1et, if you intend on keeping the vehicle be gentle with it your plan of using 106 with a finish or polishin gpad would be fine. If you really want to have the vehicle flawless you can probably go a head and go a bit more agresive but just don't be to agresive every time you polish the vehicle. now first off, I'd incurage you to take some paint gauge readings on the vehicle if you can. That way you know how much you got to play with, just to play it safe but if can't get your hands on the gauge then play it really safe and go with 106FF with a finishing pad that is if your using a rotary, if your using a DA I'd still go with the bare minimum and see if that takes care of minor swirls.

I polished my Volvo once so far, I wet a bit aggresive as it had never been polished before and so far I haven't seen any micro marring or swirls so I don't plan on polishing again till maybe next year, oh but the Volvo is a garage queen same goes for my SUV...actually I've only done a very minor, and I mean minor polishing on my SUV and I wont touch it for a long time.

I just keep puting a good layer of carnauba :thumb:

Well just my :2cents:

5. LanceM

im going yo use a DA. You think 106 and a blue is too much?

Maybe I will just put some glaze and some more nuba.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Na, 106 witha blue finishing pad should be okay specially with a DA. Have you been the only owner of the vehicle? Just wondering if anyone has polished the vehicle before.

7. LanceM

yes. but the dealer did a dealer prep and probably used something on it.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh then you probably want to get rid of the micromarring and holograms left over from the dealership huh, trust me they are there my brand new SUV came with them too :wall:

But I think 106FF with a blue finishing pad should be fine, that's what I did with my SUV, but I used a rotary not a DA.

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Polish 1-2 times a year. Seal 3 times a year. Wax 4-6 times a year.

10. cwcad

cwcad Birth of a Detailer

I am with P1et on this. Wish that when I first purchased my 2003 Blk truck I would have employed this idea. I noticed the last time that I went over my truck that an edge on my hood was starting to show signs of wear because of all the paint correcting that I did during the first two years of ownership. I was polishing all the time. Mostly because of bad techniques of washing and QD'ing.

At first I did not care about marring. I thought that I could correct at will. It works to do it that way but the paint does abraid so there is a price to pay. That is....Loss of Paint.

Luckily, I have so many paint chips on the hood from rocks that I have to get it repainted. But a lesson was learned. From now on impliment better techniques to minimize marring and polish for correction twice a year.

11. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

It's been almost 2 years and i'm been doing alittle at a time because of work and other details, i will post some pic's when i'm done for everyone's approved.......

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I have no time for corrections on my own car anymore, so Id say 1-2 times a year?

13. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i agree dont want to keep useing abrasive polishes all the time so playing around with glazes and aio polishes .

14. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

IMO you are not going to reduce your CC by much at all with a PC and a white pad or less.

Just wondering how 106ff with work with a blue pad. Could the pad be too soft?

15. Nica

Nica Banned

It all depends on the clear coat your up against. On my Lexus SUV it worked well, but I know that on other vehicles with different clear coats it does nothing for correction...well at least that's what I've noticed.

16. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Bryan, i use it yesturday and had to chance over to white pad for more punch. The blue pad was too soft for me using 106FF.

17. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I just use something light 1 or 2 times a year.

IMO with proper washing you shouldn't be polishing more than twice a year, even on softer paints.