How much time does it take you....

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by stealthmode, Feb 7, 2009.

1. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

Just curious how long it takes everyone to polish a car? We'll make this car a mid-size like a honda accord or bmw 5series. Of course depending on the condition, but lets say you just have to do one pass of sip over the whole car and one pass of 85rd....how long will that generally take you for each step?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

i would allow 5-6 hours per step on a car that size. I did an Infiniti QX56 yesterday. 1 pass of Power Finish took 7.5 hours not including the roof.

3. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

8-10 hours with my PC. I tend to take a ton of breaks though so take off 1-1.5 hours :p

X hours for my Makita though (haven't used it yet for a correction job)

4. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

911 nailed it!

5. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Now I don't feel slow. I take about that same amount of time, just thought I was slowing up my process

6. Harleyguy

Harleyguy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I would hate too add up the time i have in my vette .But then again it's my fisrt really big job .So far at least 13 hours

7. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

40-45 mins per step... maybe my clock is broke :shead:

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Ken got that one right on the nose.

9. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

911 nailed it for the most part....

i did a Black Mazda 6 this week that was in the body shop i work at some times and i had to do some light sanding on the freshly painted drivers fender, Front Bumper and rear Bumper....i started at 9:00am and clayed the car then wet sanded the small areas that needed it....then on to compound the wetsanded areas....then SIP the whole car including the fresh paint followed by 85RD then a coat of Poorboys EX-P.....at about 3:00pm my brother came by (it was his girlfriends car) and helped out...we both worked on the car until 9:30pm so thats about 18man hours with one coat of Sealer on it.....

10. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

good to know that im not slow... i should stop taking all the smoke breaks haha

11. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with 911 that sounds about right, I too consider my self slow when it comes to detailing so when I'm doing a paint correction the vehicle stays with me over a weekend :thumb:

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I normally take about 6 hours for a 4-door vehicle. That is for one corrective step.

13. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Im with piet and 911 I am anywhere between 5-6 hours per step of corection. This is not rushing or going to slow, just at my average speed. When I get a big correction job I normally do it over the course of 2 days this way I know I leave enough time to complete all the necessary steps in my detail process.

14. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

hmm i did a black 08 325i vert last weekend and it took me 8 hours total. wash, clay, 1 round sip with rotary, 1 round wet mirror finish with flex. and vacuum the interior. it wasnt bad, but i didnt 100% correction either. the customer didnt want to pay so i did what he asked.

15. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

On an 5 Series Bimmer, I could easily spend 5 hours. I spent 8 on my old truck, not including the roof.

16. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

The compounding step(s) take the longest IME, I take about 4-5 hours for the initial cutting/compounding step. From there, the steps take progressively less and less time.

I use the PC/UDM for finishing, I'm not 100% comfortable finishing on the rotary yet. This step takes about 3-4 hours.

After finishing, I like to use some sort of super mild abrasive (Poli-Seal, ZAIO, etc.) to remove any fine marring and really bring out the depth, I can do this is about 2 hours (again with the PC/UDM).

Whenever I do a correction, I, too, make sure I have the car for an entire weekend. I do this on the weekends in the warm weather for pretty minimal pay and a sense self satisfaction, no point in stressing out trying to do all this work in one day.

17. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

4-6 hours per correction

18. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Right now i'm focusing on big paint correction jobs and i'm spending upwards of 13-15 hours on JUST polishing... total of 20-25 hours per detail

19. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Most of my jobs are 15- 20+ hours.

20. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

+1. Probs averaging 5 or so hours per stage.