How much cleaner do you go through?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by TheRustySuper, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I seem to go through a lot of my Megs APC when I clean interiors. I just did a Honda Odyssey today, and went through a 24 ounce bottle of Megs APC 10:1 on the interior. I used it on everything--seats, dashboard, doors, but I'm still surprised at how much I went through. On this Jetta I went through an entire 24 oz bottle of Megs APC 4:1. Honestly, I'm gonna start using the 10:1 dilution more, to save some money. Requires a bit more work on my part to clean stuff up, but I'm going through my APC a lot faster than I would like. (being in debt to my parents sucks). Anyway, on an average car, how much interior cleaner do you use? I want to know if I'm going through it waaayyy faster than everyone else, or if my usage is on par with other people's.

Clark

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

I'm on about 50ml on cloth interior seats with like a really dilute poorboy apc. You may be spraying too much product (I don't know the conversion but it sounds like alot) you also don't need such a heavy mix if it isn't that soiled, a normal well maintained interior shouldn't need anything heavy again unless left for a long time or an accident within happens

3. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

For an Odyssey, 24oz of APC would be about right if you're doing all interior surfaces. Those stupid things have little trapdoors everywhere, so it's a lot of surface area to clean. And you really only used about 2-3 oz of APC anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you have a gallon size, you just spent less than 50 cents on cleaner. On that Jetta, I really think 10:1 would have done the trick for most of it, too.

4. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

i typically use only a few oz of 1Z CP everytime i wipe down my interior.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

It really depends how filthy interior is. On that Jetta of yours, it makes sence, and it was filthy. Use 10:1 as general cleaner on interior, and when it fails, you can threat the spotted area with 4:1 mix. Hope this helps...Megs APC isn't all that expensive to stress out about it, as a matter of fact it is very cost efficient. @ $15 a gallon it makes 5 gallons of 4:1 mix, which is $3 a gallon, and @ 10:1 mix - 11 gallons, which is $1.36 a gallon...

6. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

I'm with you on this. I bought a bottle of this early this summer and I was able to do about 6-7 cars (including maintenance wipe downs on my own truck in between).

It really depends on the type of car your working on, how well maintained, etc. But I also don't use my APC usually for cloth seats or carpets. I have a dedicated cleaner for those.

7. TheRustySuper

Yeah, for my own car I don't hardly need any APC at all, I keep it very clean (much to the annoyance of my friends, who are not allowed to eat or drink or anything in my car :p). But the cars I detail are generally quite filthy, that was like my 7th Honda Odyssey that I did today.

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

charge them accordingly...

9. TheRustySuper

Yeah, that's one thing I'm gonna start doing. Last summer when I detailed, I had a set price (that was too low) for everything, but I'm gonna raise that and then set a final price upon inspection of the vehicle. When I feel like it I'm gonna start a whole thread on that topic, figuring out what I should be charging for the work that I do.

10. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

Wow IMO you are using way too much cleaner. I use APC+ and at 10:1 and don't use half as much as you.

11. Sublime

Sublime Any Rag Vehicle Washer

think about it this way. The APC is probably cheaper than what your time is worth. If you use a little more cleaner but get the job done quicker, its probably better economically. APC's are one of those things that you do use large quantities of. If the numbers that people here have been quoting are right, then i wouldnt stress about it too much.
    I use CG Green clean at 10:1 for plastics and vinyl, and CG lightning fast at 4:1 for fabrics. I did a filthy Kia Carnival the other day (similar type of thing to the Oddessy) and probably used 10oz of CG green and 8oz of Lightning.