How many microns does each step remove?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Chaseme, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I know there are a lot of variables but I'm curious what you guys have found.

I don't have a PTG so I want to estimate.

I seem to recall most medium polishes take 2-5microns?

2. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

You can barely measure 2-5 microns.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

In most cases, if you were to compound, polish and use a finishing polish, you may remove around 5 microns. Using a polish like Menz Power Finish for example will remove such a small amount of clear that its almost imeasureable. You could use Menz106 and a green pad to remove light swirls from washing/drying almost indefinitely without worrying about going through the clear. Using a wool pad with 105 or Powergloss will remove a crapload of clear in a hurry. We removed 6microns of clear with Powergloss and a wool pad one time!

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If you don't have a PTG I'm not sure what an estimate will do for you as you have no idea of how much paint thickness you have to start with (X microns - 5 microns = ?)

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

6. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

Not to highjack the thread but what is a typical reading of microns for a factory painted car? What's healthy and what's risky? I was looking at the highline II the other day but with out knowing anything about normal thickness numbers vs low thickness numbers, a paint gauge would be useless.

7. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

From what I've seen, healthy readings start at about 100-120. Most newer Mazda paints are on the thin side and tend to be around 85-90, and Mazda is known to have really thin paint. I've seen Porsche's with healthy paint readings upwards of 160 as well. Then, there's repainted cars which can have up to a 400 reading. It really depends on the car, condition, and quality of paint. If you want an article on how to use and understand PTG's, check this one out:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/blog/?p=352

8. 911Fanatic

For polishing purposes, anything over 100 is ok for compounding and polishing. I personally wouldn't sand anything under 110 -115 as you just remove too much clear. 90 -100 Polish and polishing pad should be fine, no compounding. 80 - 90 A finishing polish like 106 on a finishing pad should be safe and lower than that, glaze and wax/sealant only. We have had 5 first gen Infiniti G35s in our shop and all of them had readings on the roof lower than 70. Yikes.

9. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Thanks guys. Lots that I've now learned.

So, I have a question. I assume a sealant or wax coat adds some thickness back to the paint.

Has anyone ever taken post-LSP readings?

I'm assuming at most LSP adds 2microns?

10. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

About 2-4 microns from your average polishing, about 6 after compounding/final polish. LSP doesn't add anything, it does but it's not close to a micron. When you buff it off only a thin layer stays on the paint. Since the margin of error on most PTG's is +/- 1-2 it's pretty hard to measure exact microns.

11. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

Good replies thanks

12. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I was just testing that out today, My dad has had a van for 6 years now, it's done 540K KM I was doing a sliding door. It had about 172-177 Microns and I was using a Makita at various speeds from 600-3000 rpms, with a LC Yellow CCS, Standard Makita Wool cutting pad and LC Green CCS. I was using M105, I took off about 5 microns on average. *Note that how much you can take off is your really about how hard you go at it, I think I did about 8-10 passes @3000 with the wool. It also depends on how hard the clear is

13. 911Fanatic

Older clear will come away way faster as it tends to be a lot drier. As you get down to fresh clear, it won't come off any where near as fast.