How Many MF Pads Needed For Compact Car?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Peacemaker, May 24, 2013.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

Hey Guys,

I am detailing my little GTI this weekend. Wondering how many MF pads I'll need (cutting) to do the entire car. Planning on hitting it with FG400 and a Meguiars MF 5.5 cutting pad. I have a two pack ready to go, just wondering if this will be enough.

I have an air compressor and brush.

Thanks!

2. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I think you should be fine with 2 as long as you clean them after each section.

3. Will

Will Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Compressor will help a lot with keeping the fibers from clumping. You'll be able to do a GTI with 2 pads just keep them clean.

4. NickBlaine

NickBlaine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You should be fine. I did a Chrysler 300 with only two pads. Just kept cleaning them, and everything turned out great. Air compressor was my best friend

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I did my Passat Wagon with two, then decided I hated cleaning pads after every section, and bought a bunch. Two is not an issue, and FG400 is a great choice....... you will be pleased.

6. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

You only need 2-3 pads as long as you clean them right. I strongly recommend getting more because of delamination issues (specially if you are using Megs pads). The last thing you want is blowing up mf pads and then changing to something with less cut. I own about 20 mf pads and usually blow 1-3 pads during my detailing sessions. Megs replaces delaminated pads though. You just have to call their 1-800 number.

7. Will

Will Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That's good to know. My last detail one of my pads lost all grip to the backing plate and started to fold up. Scared the hell out of me.

8. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

Hey guys, thank you for the tips/suggestions. I completed my detail yesterday (10 hour job). I got away with two pads without any issues. The GTI is a small car, and the first pad looked great after half the car, but I decided to swap pads just to be safe. These pads definitely helped cut through the super tough clear coat.

I used a Rupes 15 + 5.5 megs cutitng pad + fg400. I did this in a driveway under a canopy. With the mid 70s temperatures yesterday, I noticed my working time with FG400 was significantly less than it was during my winter detail. It was spent after just two passes and I needed at four to get the right cut.

I know a lot of people say to use compressed air to clean, and while I had it handy, I ended up using a toothbrush to clean the pad. It was way more effective and much faster. I occasionally brushed then aired out, but saw nothing flying out w/ the air.

I also did a one step with the FG400 + MF pads, it turned out great. I would have taken photos, but I finished late after the sun went down. Unfortunately its now raining!!!

Another interesting tidbit, I made sure I prepped the car very well before I began polishing--after I was done, I did an ONR wash and plain water was beading on its own! I'm SURE there wasn't wax on the car.

Anyway, thanks again!