How long to polish a car?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 911Fanatic, Sep 15, 2008.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I don't mean to rant but I've been having a discussion with a detailer ( I use the term loosely) on another forum regarding how long it takes to detail a car. He mentioned that he can do a full detail-engine, wash, interior detail with shampoo, show quality 3 step polish and wax in one day. I politely(the first time) pointed out that it wasn't possible. This went back and forth a few times and then a few other guys get on and say that more than 1 day on a detail is ridiculous. I've been detailing professionally for a long time and have never been able to do all that in one day on any size car. How long would it take for you guys to do a three stage poiish? Am I the slowest detailer in the world? I don't know why, but this is really picking my a$$. :fight2:

2. Crossroaddetail

Crossroaddetail Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It takes myself and my buisness partner, on a full size vehicle a FULL day to do a 3 stage polish alone, forget even getting to the interior on that day. Everyones idea of a "show" polish is definatly different, and I'm more then sure this guy uses that term quite loosely.

FOr example, we did 3 corvettes(all of which were in fairly good shape) for a carshow in calgary. It took the three of us 3 full days to do the vettes, giving them a full polish and do a quick interior cleanup, adding on a 4th day to do final touches and a wash/wax and quickie interior on a truck.

To sum it up, there is NO way to finish a truely FULL detail in a day.

3. eShine

eShine Guest

Just an exterior on a car that includes,

wash
    dry
    clay
    2 steps of swirl removal
    polish
    wax,
    wheels
    and exterior trim

Takes me 10-12 hours. At the 8 hour mark I am wishing I was never born.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

C'mon Chris. I used to be like that. Now I don't get punchy until the end of day two!

5. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

that's me too except here's my process on the latest detail i did

wash
    dry
    clay - kinda half assed this part too cause most of it was freshly painted
    tape
    30 minutes of testing in areas with 106FF and white pad
    SIP and 106FF
    diluted isopropyl wipe down
    sealant - 1 hour cure time
    wax

anything after polishing, i had someone help me. i took 1 hour breaks every 3 hours so that is 12 hours because I work slow

I cannot imagine being able to do a 3 step in one day unless i skip all meals, no breaks, and work for a full 16 hours at the very least...

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

It's definitely not possible, at least for quality work. His use of the term "detail" may only mean a simple or basic detail for some of us.

Perhaps he can do it one day but I guarantee he's either cutting corners, doing half-assed work, or the combination of the two.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, there is no way I do a full paint correction in one day. I mean just to do the tires, rims, wheel wells, engine bay and wash the vehicle takes me about 5hrs then I have to clay the vehicle then tape it up then take paint guage readings...it all takes time.

But that's my process, it works for me and I'm stiking to it, I don't like taking shortcuts...besides detailing is like painting your creating a masterpeace..well at least that's what I think of detailing and cars but that's just me :shrug:

So for me 3 days is what it takes me to do a full detail..by my self and a little bit of help from my wife :whistle:

8. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

If you are talking a single person doing a reputable job, good luck in one day. It took me 4.5 hours to wash, prep and do a one step swirl removal and glaze. Working my ass off the whole time and it was a two door.

9. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

I don't see this as being possible in one day...

10. HPIA4v2

HPIA4v2 Birth of a Detailer

I am kinda glad that it takes some of you that long too, cause I start doubting my process.

11. ianFRST

ianFRST Virgin Detailer

you dont mention car / age / condition etc

say on a brand new car, with minor swirls from dealer inflicted wash, then yes, easily in one day.

something that has seen an automatic wash most of its life? probably not

ive done a few where the car is only available for 1 day, so ive HAD to get it done in one day, my last being a bentley continental, started at 8 am, and didnt leave till 8pm