how long have you been in detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Misha, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

just want to see how long you guys been detailing, some i guess have it as full time job but doesnt matter, detailing is detailing.
    only did it for past 3 month or so

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

ive been detailing my own vehicles for almost 13 years. started getting more serious about it 4 years ago. been doing it on the side (when i have customers) for about 3 years now.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I detailed my first car when I was fourteen (a mere five plus decades ago) it was a 1929 Bentley “Blower Super 8” that belonged to my Fathers friend Brigadier John Dix of Kensington, London. If, as they say, "God is in the details," then a 1929 Bentley is truly a religious experience. I knew then that detailing would become a passion and my métier.
    It has always been a relaxing past time for me and while at college I had a part-time business detailing classic vintage cars. From there to Concours d’élégance entrant then judge, and then on to writing car care articles and How-to: instructions, then writing a series of books on my favorite subject.

I’ve been providing unbiased opinions that both professionals and enthusiast detailer’s use and trust on various detailing forums for about ten years.

4. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

Hi togwt,

I love to read all your writing in forum, however some of them look very hard to understand for me (newbie, less than 1 year old in detailing my own car only) ...

do you write detailing book? I will happy to have that

I start detailing 6 months ago, no machine yet ... hopefully will get one soon

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

In April 2010, I will begin my 18th year of detailing full time. God I'm old!!.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

almost 7 years here...

7. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Almost 13 yrs by now

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

6 months roughly since I actually started detailing... I cleaned my cars for years before that lol...

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If you're old after 18 years of detailing dirt is my younger brother

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Well if you count washing and waxing my parents car when I was a kid then 14 years, from when I was 8, but if you count actually doing paint correction and learning correct way then 4 years.

11. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Congrats Ken!

Thats dedication man.

12. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

About a few weeks after I joined DB :thumb:

13. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

If you count washing/waxing a car, since I was 17.

If you consider proper car washing techniques and paint correction, then around 4 months.

14. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I've been washing/waxing cars since I was a kid .

I've been practicing the proper washing techniques & learning about correction since last year when a MI bodyshop left nasty buffer trails on my black car.

The 1st two guys I met here (billyblooshoes & darkstar 752) worked on both of my vehicles. After seeing their awesome work, I wanted to give correction a try!! It has been an addiction ever since!!

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

just keep up the practice and good work and you'll be as good as anyone on here!

i've been detailing since i left the womb. i had to be born c-section because i had a makita in my hands and they couldnt get me out the "regular way".

16. GDAL

GDAL Guest

LMFAO ... good one billy!!!

17. 911Fanatic

You said it, not me. But I was thinking it!

18. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

^ I am confused.

19. 911Fanatic

More like, thats uneducated man! LOL

20. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Well I went to a tech. high school for auto body and thats where I learned how to wet sand and buff factory paint and fresh paint. So from about 10th grade to now. ( I'm now 30 ) I work in a body shop thats part of a dealership and the owner has me detail on the side ( usually the black cars, yippee! ) and they let me do my own detail jobs on the side when ever I want, which is awesome! I am one of the painters there which I feel gives me an advantage towards detailing and a better understanding about paint, I have painted many, many cars, haha.
    I have been thinking about building up some customers and going off on my own and open up a detail shop. I rescently made up some buisness cards, I figured I can start small and work my way up.

sorry that was kinda all over the place