How long does Polish Last in the bottle?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by cptzippy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Can't remember if I asked this but how long do polishes usually last in the bottle. I still have a good amount of Prima Amigo, Finish, and Swirl that I opened back in 2007 when I got them. Any reason they wouldn't still be useable after a good shake?

2. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

i have used polishes that were ten years old and still worked perfect. as long as they weren't left in the garage in freezing temperatures (sometimes even that doesn't impact it negatively), I don't see why not?

3. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Meant to say that they were always in the house (except for maybe a couple of days during a move a few januarys ago).

4. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

only way to tell is to try them out? pretty simple. good luck.

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

u will see if they start to separate and no longer can be mixed. it happens to optimum as far as i know

6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Well until the oils/abrasives separate, which varies from polish to polish. The nice thing is that you can shake the polish every month or so and it will last much longer. On another note, I was using some old M105(1 year ish) today, and was running out so I grabbed another bottle and the polish was thicker and seemed to cut better than the more watery one, although the somewhat watery one still had about 85% of the original cut.

7. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I have had some of my Prima polishes for 2 ish years and they still work just fine.

8. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

Might want to check with Nick at Prima for his opinion too.

9. brk4euros

brk4euros DB Pro Supporter

If visual inspection is clear . . . test it out!

10. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I've only had Optimum polishes seperate on me after less than 6 months of storage. I was not able to get them to mix back together. It was the Hyper Compound (not the spray) and Polish II that went bad. My bottles of Compound II and Finish Polish were purchased at the same time and were stored in the same cabinet and are still good. Probably 1.5 years old now.

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru