How do YOU restore headlamps?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Street Wolf, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Street Wolf

Street Wolf Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Myself and a friend have recently been toying with headlight restoration, and doing quite well at it in fact, however there is always room for improvement and learning of new techniques.

I'm simply curious how you guys feel is the best method and steps to restoring headlights so we can learn.

Here's a set that we've just recently done. They were even worse than they look due to the fact that the surface was not evenly molded, making high and low spots that had to be dealt with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Street Wolf

Nothing, hm?

3. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I wet sand with 2000 then 3000 and then just compound and polish

4. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Here's my method.

1. 400/600/800 grit depending on how bad they are. I sand them dry with a Mirka Abranet pad and my Griots DA 3in
    2. Wetsand 1000 grit with a Mirka Abralon pad
    3. Wetsand 2000 grit with a Mirka Abralon pad
    4. Wetsand 3000 grit with a Mirka Abralon pad (this step is not necessary, but I like finishing at this grit)

Polish headlights with my Griots DA (larger one)

1. M101 with a MF pad
    2. Adams Correction Polish or FG 400 with a yellow uber pad
    3. HD Polish with a green uber pad.

The key is to make sure you remove all the defective uv protection during the 1st/2nd sanding sessions. It's also very important that you clean the sanding disk often so your sanding is effective during every buffing session.

I take my sweet time doing HLR repairs, but the results are worth the extra work. I do a wipedown with pre-sol or spies hecker 7010 to remove all polish residue and seal them with two coats of Opti-Lens.

I'll try to post pics of my last HLR repair.

Worthrj likes this.
  5. Street Wolf

Thank you. B)

6. eacmonroe

eacmonroe Virgin Detailer

In for Pics! Nice Write up also

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I have a Volvo scheduled for a HLR repair this upcoming weekend (weather permiting). I will take pictures and document my steps. I'll keep you guys posted.

G

8. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

9. chrisk86

chrisk86 New Member

what do you do for sealing to finish, after polishing od you follow up with a clear coat or coating of some sort?

10. aquariusashu

aquariusashu New Member

This forum has lots of interesting and useful information about the cars and other automobile parts. Its a good place to learn about auto detailing.

11. Worthrj

Worthrj New Member

There's car washes around town offering $20 headlight repair. Haha I see people doing it all the time. Lasts about a week and a half in south florida. They take a buffing wheel on a rotary and out the door you go.

12. gweegzz

gweegzz New Member

13. top189h

top189h Virgin Detailer

White body shop plastic prep pad and then clear coat over them.