How do you Re-badge?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by JLs Detailing, Sep 19, 2009.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Hey guys I've seen numerous folks on here de-badge cars but was wondering what adhesive you all would recommend for re-badging a car. I have a co-worker who's son has an EVO and one of the EVO emblems came off. Was wondering what you would use to get it to go back on with good results. Your process would be appreciated as well.

2. Nica

Nica Banned

From what I saw at Maranello Body shop they use 3M double sided tape...it's not like a normal tape it's quite thin so to place it on the badge. I've never done it my self to be honest but I have seen it done :shrug:

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Thanks Nica I really appreciate it. I wonder where you can purchase that thin 2 sided tape?

4. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

autogeek has it. But you could probably get it locally at a parts store or autobody supply shop. Make sure you get the strong hold.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Most body shop supplies cary it, at least that's where I've seen it...let us know how you make out, I'm curious.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Take the badge to a body shop and see if they will sell you a piece to use. To buy it by the roll is prohibitively expensive. You'll need a razor blade to trim away around the letters so the tape doesn't show from the front and collect dirt. Its tedious and time consuming. My advice - buy a new badge!

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

8. jfspeed6

jfspeed6 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I agree. I know to buy a roll where I live it is too expensive to buy it for just one time use.

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'm with the people who suggest buying a new badge.

You'll also want to get a good idea where exactly the badges are supposed to go. Often I'll see vehicles around town with badges in the wrong places. For example, something you see all the time, like an Accord EX. I don't know where the badges go on an Accord EX, but I do know that when they're in the wrong spot, it's easy to notice. Makes it look like that end of the car has been in an accident.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

USE ADHESION PROMOTERX100000000000000000

3m makes all of the best adhesives for installing emblems and mouldings and such, but they also make an adhesion promoter and I consider it a must for any time you are using there adhesives foams to attach anything.