How do you polish small areas?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Marc08EX, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Hey gang,

I currently have a Flex 3401 VRG and a Meguiar's G100. Everyone seems to be using the Flex as their go-to polisher nowadays... I completely agree that the the Flex is a powerful tool and I can't imagine working on detailing jobs without it. Now my question is that how do you guys polish the small areas such as the 2-4" roof part in between the moon roof and the front windshield, the a-pillars, painted window sills, the small portion on the roof beside the moon roof, and rear pillar? The Flex can only be used with 6.5" pads and if you're daring enough, 5.5" pads... But even the 5.5" pads aren't small enough to fit in those small areas.

I would love to hear how you guys deal with these small areas.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Marc

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

4" pads are your friends in areas like the ones you mentioned, plus a good tape job also helps, so you dont burn rubber around windows and the sunroof.

use the g100 so you can switch to a 3" backing plate.

3. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

You could even use 3.5" pads with a rotary backing plate on your G110. You will need an adapter.

4. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the responses guys!! But what pad do you use to correct these small areas? An orange pad? Does the G100/PC have enough power to correct these areas with an orange pad?

How could i use a rotary backing plate? I don't think they have the same type of screw... This is the reason I'm thinking about getting a rotary... Having the 3" BP that could be used with the 3.5 or 4" pads.

Thanks!

5. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Get the 3.5 backing plate before the weekend, Marc! lol

Is it not possible to do these areas with a 6.5 pad (difficult yes, but impossible?).

6. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I wish I included it in my latest order from DD... My order's coming tomorrow lol!

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

There is an adapter available. Check with some of the vendors on here. :)

8. CU2MIKE

CU2MIKE Guest

I use Griot's Garage 3 inch polisher + 3 inch pads. Works great on tight spots, and it's not very pricey either.

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

50mm pads for the very tight areas :D

10. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

the 3" dd plate can go on a rotoray or da .

11. BobbyG

BobbyG Virgin Detailer

Small 4" pads on my Porter Cable 7424 or by hand, which ever makes sense.

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I typically use my rotary and a 50/75 mm backing plate with 75/80/100 mm pads to take care of those smaller areas.

13. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter