How do you clean this?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by amercour, May 3, 2013.

1. amercour

amercour Birth of a Detailer

From what I can find online the caliper is anodized aluminum. Those spots of filth do not come off with Sonax or APC at 2:1. Any easy solutions or just scrub harder with powerful chemicals? Any recommendations on a chemical that will do the trick without damaging the finish?

photo_1_2.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

is it pitting?

3. amercour

I don't think so. Looks like baked on brake dust

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

if its baked on, its a whole different ball game.

5. amercour

Either baked or stained. So any suggestions?

I was thinking Megs WB, but I am not sure if that is safe for anodized aluminum, or that it would be the best choice. Surely someone on here has ran into this before?

6. Joey Lawrence

Joey Lawrence Virgin Detailer

You could always test the WB on the back side of the caliper on a small area which will require you to take the wheel off but it's better to be safe. I have some brown royal wheel cleaner and it works pretty good on the bad stuff.

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have never seen a good cleaner for anodized aluminum. Run into this but a bit differently on older BMW window trim in anodized aluminum and the only fix is to sand it down and reapply a coating similar, or paint it and hope it does not come off easily. Would require a different primer for aluminum first, and then painting..
    Not sure why they would want to use non painted anodized aluminum on Calipers anyway...

What about this product -- http://www.amazon.com/Malco-BRAKE-O...UTF8&colid=2VT1YKJ8BB78D&coliid=I9JLDHH39329D

Good luck with this..
    Dan F

8. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

Wb will work fine at 4/1, I use it all the time on Porsche calipers

9. amercour

Thank you all for the suggestions. That Malco product looks a bit heavy duty, and I would really have no use for the remaining gallon. I think I will try and get a sample of Megs WB and see if it improves the situation. If it came down to sanding and all that I would get them powder coated like the big boy calipers.

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I would take the wheel off and use combination of iron x /trix to improve the situation.

11. amercour

Just looked up TRIX. Very interesting product that I will definitely have to try. Megs WB specifically states do not use on unfinished and anodized aluminum.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Silly question, but have you tried a little bit of clay to see if that works? I have gotten stuff off wheel using clay that did NOT come off using wheel cleaners.

13. amercour

I have not tried Clay, but I will definitely give it a shot.