How do I treat dried out leather?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by jkrueger2020, Dec 12, 2014.

1. jkrueger2020

jkrueger2020 New Member

I have a 2011 Toyota Camry which I bought in 2013. When I purchased it, the leather had been neglected and was drying out and the problem is only getting worse. I haven't known what to do to fix the problem, and I'm finally getting around to posting about this.

The leather seems to have developed "scales" that are flaking off. The problem appears on the driver's headrest as well as the top of the driver's seat.

Here are my questions:
    1.What step(s) should I take to fix this?
    2. What product(s) should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Headrest Closeup:
    [​IMG]

Headrest 2:
    [​IMG]

Top of Seat (Hard to see):

[​IMG]

2. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

The the outer layer is flaking off there is not much you can do to make it better. The leather has separated from the carcass underneath it.
    You may see some luck with a heavy conditioner of some kind and very delicate application.

However, depending on the vehicle, most manufacturers offer replacement leather covers for the seats, would just be a bit of work swapping the covers over.

Meticulous-Detail likes this.
  3. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I didn't catch that it was a 2011 Camry.... I work for Toyota :p

The leather replacement top cover is only around $120

PU7LP-20V1B-AH Drivers Side Leanback $120
    PU7LP-20V2B-AH Passenger Side Leanback $120
    PU7LP-20V3A-AH Headrest $40 (X2)

These part numbers should get you the covers if you decide to go that route. They are in the Leather Parts Replacement guide form Toyota.

Meticulous-Detail likes this.
  4. okay65829

okay65829 Active Member

Wow very helpful advice

5. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

That's the way to go. Because your factory coating is gone..

6. jkrueger2020

jkrueger2020 New Member

Wow - I must have the email settings wrong b/c I don't recall seeing these replies. Thanks very much for the replies - and the part numbers! I actually applied leatherique leather cleaner to the head rest and it seems significantly better than it was. But given that the top coat of the leather is coming off, I'm not sure what to make of it. I never saw flakes coming off as I was applying the leatherique to the seats, but why I don't see the cracked top coat I can't explain either.

I'm definitely going to save these part numbers in case the problem comes back in Spring. Thanks again!

7. flatstick

flatstick Birth of a Detailer

congrats on getting the replacement parts for your seats. from your description that is the way to go .

8. 01GreyStangGT

01GreyStangGT Any Rag Vehicle Washer

If it's a 2011, seems that would be pretty new for that to be happening. Do you live int he desert or sunny Florida?

9. jkrueger2020

jkrueger2020 New Member

Yeah, I thought that seemed kind of fast to have it decay given that I've seen cars a decade old have their leather look better. I live in South Carolina. I'm thankful the Leatherique seemed to help, but I'm glad to have those parts numbers around in case I need to replace them.

10. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Why didn't you use the Leatherique oil first? Try it, it will turn out better than just the cleaner itself.

11. jkrueger2020

jkrueger2020 New Member

Actually, I did use the rejuvinator oil first before using the cleaner. The temps weren't very warm the day I used it (probalby only mid 50s) due to it being December when I used it, but I do see some improvement in the headreset (but still feels a bit dry and looks somewhat scaly still).

Am I thinking like an optimist to think that another application in warmer weather might get it any better? Or should I look at getting those replacement covers like @StreetShotz suggested?

[​IMG]

12. ricky bobby

ricky bobby New Member

I've found out in my experience that Toyota leather sucks. Its not durable like my BMW X5 leather, at 12 years old on my 2003, it looks better than my wifes 4 year old 2011 Rav4 (ash gray) leather. I do wipedowns weekly to bi-weekly, and condition with 1Z Lederpfledge, Optimum Protectant Plus, or Adams Leather Conditioner once a month.

Good to know replacement covers aren't terribly expensive, but yes I've noticed that whatever leather Toyota is using is cheap to say the least.

13. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Problem is that its not real leather. Its synthetic and that is the problem.

14. aquariusashu

aquariusashu New Member

Good to see the suggestion from different members. Its nice to see when people exchange their idea on particular topic because it helps in learning new things and increase knowledge.