How can I get the smell of cigarettes out?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by adriankeith, Jun 25, 2008.

1. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

I'm going to be working on a client's car this weekend and he's a pretty avid smoker. I know it's probably pretty useless to take any measures to get that stench out but I'd like for it to at least smell better when he gets it back so maybe he'll take the initiative to not smoke in his car. Anyways, just wondering if there are any OTC products I can get or even something from CG since they're not far from my place. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

ozium is otc.

3. richy

richy Guest

I have this DG product but have yet to try it:
    Duragloss Duragloss (Absorb-It Odor Eliminator)
    After spraying whatever you choose, put a bounty dryer sheet or two under some seats..they do a good job of absorbing odours in hte car.

4. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

About 3 years after purchasing my current vehicle I can *still* smell smoke on humid days, it drives me absolutely nuts.

I've tried CGs odor eliminator on my work shoes and it does work pretty well, the scent is a bit overpowering at first though so allow ample time for it to air out.

5. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Ozone machine is the only way to permanently get rid of the smell

6. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Ozone machine. See if there is a place you can rent one for the day maybe???

Then leave bounty a dryer sheet under the front seats like richy said.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Ozone machines are quite pricey to purchase aren't they?

While ozone machines may be the correct way to remove odors, how would one do it if he couldn't get a hold of an ozone machine. I have Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover which I was thinking of using for taking care of any odor or stain. So far it's done pretty well with what I've encountered (typical stains from drinks, food, dirt, and grime).

8. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

They are pricey, however to permanently rid yourself of the smell it is the only way. Masking them with products won't last forever. Check around your area, someone may let you use or rent theirs, start with the better deatail shops.

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

That DG product is a complete waste.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Smoke- / Tobacco smoke- is one of the most difficult smells to remove from a car, as the smoke permeates almost every interior finish. Most smokers drop cigarette / cigar ash down the side of the steering column or gear shift, there may also be tar stains on these items; until all traces of ash and tar are removed the tobacco smell will remain

Smoke molecules are microscopic and they exhibit a very strong adhesive quality; plus they don't conform to normal cleaning standards. A solvent will not break there bond; a detergent will not suspend them for extraction. More than any other odour problem smoke removal is a process.

Removal of smoke, pet odours, virtually any organically caused mal-odour in carpet, seats, headliners, upholstery and heating and air conditioning ducts. As with all smell and odour removal check the cabin air filter, change as necessary

Start by cleaning the carpets and upholstery with an extractor and 303 Carpet & Spot Remover TM . Clean leather, vinyl and all interior glass surfaces with approved cleaners, once the carpet has dried for 24 hours, sprinkle with baking soda, rub it in to ensure that it penetrates the fibres and leave it for about a week, then vacuum the carpet to remove. The baking soda should absorb the remaining odour in the carpet. As with all smell and odour removal check the cabin air filter, change as necessary.

Don't forget the headliner, as this is the source of most of the tobacco smell
    (See also Ozone Generator)

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

... and this is because it doesn't work right?

12. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

The guy in charge of loaner cars at work, takes one of the coffee bags we have here cuts it open and leaves it on the floor board for a few hours. I guess it would be ok if you like the smell of coffee.

13. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

no product will eliminate the smell..but more or less cover it temp..you need to break it down at the molecular level to eliminate it and thats where a ozone generator comes in...

there are some enzyme type products that do work...but eventually the smell comes back ..since the smoke coats everything on the interior including the wires behind the dash..so again you need a ozone generator to completely eliminate the odor..

best thing is to wash the interior with a bacteriacide product to kill most that is reachable...you will knock the odor down some....

but forget any spray cover scents....waste of money on this type of job

AL

14. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

As Al said, "but forget any spray cover scents....waste of money on this type of job"

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

So would this work then?

16. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

wow thanks for all the replies, I actually do have 2 ozone machines. I'll try that. thanks everyone!

17. DetailAddict

DetailAddict Two Bucket System Washer

I've been using this for my clients and works pretty well... I got it from topoftheline.com 2 years ago...

Interior Odor Fogger
    [​IMG]

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Do you use that for every detail or just the problematic ones?

19. DetailAddict

DetailAddict Two Bucket System Washer

only those that requested for odor removal or something i throw it in as extra. works well for cig smell and the 'old car smell'. :) It does have a scent as by-product so I don't do it without checking with the customer first. the scent last about 2-4 weeks, and it smells like baby powder. :D

20. Derek37

Derek37 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm thinking if he's an avid smoker he probably can't even smell it.
    But I would suggest the ozone machine as well.