Honda s2000 (120+ pictures)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by D&D Auto Detailing, Jul 29, 2010.

1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

I did this s2000 awhile ago, but finally got around to getting all the pictures together. The owner left the car with me for awhile which I was very thankful for because it needed a TON of work. It also allowed me to document the process and take a lot of pictures. In total, I took a little over 200 pictures.

From what I remember, the owner bought the car used and was unsure of its history regarding repaints and prior detailing. A thorough inspection of the car revealed it had definitely been repainted and buffed before. The car was set up for a full interior and exterior detail with a 4 step polishing process.

Interior
    The interior of the s2000 was in relatively good shape. The dash, rubber, and plastic pieces received 1z Vinyl- Rubber Care. Since this is a convertible, I wanted to use a product that would provide UV protection (Vinyl- Rubber provides a bit more UV protection than Cockpit Premium). It also helps to repel dust, which is always an issue with verts. The leather was cleaned and protected using Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and Protectant. The windows were cleaned with Stoners Invisible Spray which is tint safe and ammonia free. I did not take any before pictures of the interior, only a few afters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior
    Ahhh where to begin? Well like I said, this car had been repainted and buffed before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. D&D Auto Detailing

Sun Shots Before
    The paint had almost every imperfection imaginable- bad swirls, RIDs, water marks, oxidation, holograms, overspray, sanding marks, wool pad marring, etc. I tried to take at least one sun shot of every panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wash and Paint Decontamination
    This was a very important and time consuming step. As you saw from the previous pictures, there was polish residue everywhere. I wanted to get all of that removed before I started my polishing process. The paint was cleaned using a citrus degreaser, various brushes, and alcohol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels, wheel wells, and tires were cleaned with P21s Wheel Gel, Megs APC+, Swissvax wheel brush, EZ Detail Brush, and DD Uber Spoke Brush. The finish on the wheels was peeling and the owner had planned on getting them refinished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint was clayed using Bilt Hamber clay and ONR as clay lube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Halogen Shots
    After the car was clean, it was pulled into the garage and inspected under two dual 1000 watt halogen lights. Again, I tried to get a picture of each panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. D&D Auto Detailing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Polishing Process
    The goal was to make this car as near perfect as possible. Not only has this car been repainted, but some of it was standard clear coat and some was soft original paint. There was even a panel that was half clear and half SS. This made it difficult to polish because each panel responded differently. This required me to inspect each panel in the sun after I worked on it. The car was literally worked on a panel at a time. I was constantly changing my technique, machine (PC & rotary), pads, and polishes.

Basically it ended up being a 4 step process using the PC and rotary, M105, SIP, 106FF, 87mc, Megs cutting pads, CCS orange, CCS white, CCS blue, and lots of alcohol wipe downs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In these next two pictures you can see the difference pretty well. The bottom part of the mirror is still swirled and oxidized, while the top has been polished.
    [​IMG]

The bottom part was later polished by hand.
    [​IMG]

Random Garage Shots
    These are a few shots I took during the process. These are unedited straight from the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Direct Before/ After Shots
    The majority of these after shots were taken only after compounding with M105.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. D&D Auto Detailing

Sun Shots After
    After the polishing process was complete, the car was rewashed with de- ionized water and inspected in the sun. It was a cloudy day, but I tried my best to get good shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamor Shots
    Sealed with Blackfire WDPP. Tires and wheel wells dressed with Surf City Beyond Black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing and hope you enjoyed it!

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice work! saw your write-up on s2ki :D

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

great work ... do you have a shop in NoVa or are you mobile?

7. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

very nice!

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job. Man that S2000 was hammered and you brought it to it's full glory. Love the Blackfire on perfect red paint!

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

looks great man! I tell you, sun makes it great to see defects but in the end a nice overcast day makes for some great photography work. The car was hammered and it turned out damn good! I hope the owner was pleased with the outcome.

Nice photo work. This is one of the main reasons why i want to buy a house so people can just leave there cars with me.

10. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Very nice work indeed. May i inquire how much time you spent on the exterior. I may be doing a white s2000 soon and this helps the thought process for the future.

11. D&D Auto Detailing

LOL, just saw your post over there. Glad you approve....

Many hours. The soft single stage red paint was difficult to work with. Not sure if yours will be single stage as well, but I hear single stage white paint is usually hard(er).

12. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

amazing turnaround. VERY impressive correction work. that red looks wet as shit.

13. D&D Auto Detailing

Thank you. Thats the great thing about single stage paint. Looks amazing when done correctly.

14. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

what camera and lens did you use to shoot those pics? They look sick.

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

are you sure it was actual single stage? i was told that red S2K's were not actually single stage, but rather the clear is tinted red. i forget who told me, but i was throw a curveball while correcting a red one once myself. i started getting light red transfer to my pads, but not enough that i thought it would be single stage. in my experience single stage transfers much more color than a tinted clear. im not questioning you, just looking for clarification for my own knowledge.

16. D&D Auto Detailing

Its a Canon XT with a Canon 10-22mm. I actually sold that lens and got a Canon 50mm 1.8. Wanted something with a bit more range. Great lens though, very sharp!

Yep, pretty sure it was single stage. I was getting a lot of transfer on my pads, in fact some of them are still red. The whole car and or parts were repainted at least once. The front bumper and half of the front passenger quarter panel (where you see the haze) were clear coated. If I remember correctly, the rear bumper was clear coated as well.

17. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

Very nice! That car was BEAT UP!!!

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Great job, man! I really like your process, paint correction, and those amazing pics!!!

19. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

s2k's are not single stage. not one. the red ones have tinted clear. I am a previous owner/enthusiast and have detailed red, blue, light silver, dark silver, and black s2k's.

this one might seem like it, depending on how it was repainted.

20. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

:ditto:

2 Stage with a tinted clear. I had the same type of thing occur when I detailed a friend's S2k...
    S2000 Forums -> 2003 S2000 Detail : S2KI
    (DB thread the pics are compressed for some reason)

Never did get the red out of the pads... I just used them on another car and no more red :)