Home Depot Natural Sea Sponge

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by blas, Jan 27, 2009.

1. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

today i went to home depot looking for steel wool #0000 (not found) (45min walking around the store) (i hate asking employees about things they never answer correctly) and during my "walk" i found a rack of sea sponges.. never saw a thread about this sponges but.. anyone has used it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I've seen them at my HD to, I've never heard them being mentioned. Just make sure you wash it really well before using it. A lot of times sand is still stuck in them. Good luck with them! Let us know how you like it.

3. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

At one point it looks like a one pack at another point it looks like a two pack. Help the old man out here...:thumb:

4. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

one pack

5. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I bought one but never used it. It's not a very good sponge for washing IMO. It's too small, and not as nice as the sea "wool" sponges. What you want is a sea wool sponge...either a prime sea wool wool or rock island sea wool sponge. These type come from deeper waters and are the softest most dense sea wool sponges available. For a car you want a large size than that 6"...something closer to 10" plus.

The prime sea wool sponges are the most common and affordable. The Rock Island are top of the line sponges from depths >60'. They can get a bit more expensive.

As someone mentioned, it is essential to prep them first before using. Good thread here on prepping a sponge.
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/48194-post10.html

My 11" (when wet) Rock Island Sea wool sponge, unbleached. :)
    [​IMG]