Home Depot Grout Sponge

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Reflect, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I used this sponge on my 1996 Dodge Ram daily driver in Philly because I wasn't sure it would be soft enough, like the Proline grout sponge. Overall it is a great buy and seems to be holding up. The truck was overly dirty and at first pass the sponge seemed to grab, which worried me, but once the contaminants were removed, it glided over pretty smoothly. It held a lot of solution and was easy around the contours of the car. My favorite characteristic was it's ability to rinse clean. I was washing the lower panels and the sponge became very dirty, something that would have for sure stained a mitt or microfiber. I put it in the rinse bucket, rubbed it gently, and it looked brand new. I like it so far, but I definitely want to try out the Proline version.

2. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

IMO the Proline is much better than the HD GS. It's softer and fits better in your hand due to it's smaller size. I use it exclusively for ONR washes and wheels. This summer I will probably start using as my standard wash media.

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Agree! :thumb::thumb:

4. Reflect

I'll have to pick some up soon. No need right now, still too cold.

5. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

+1 :agree:

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Yeah, I have to agree that the Proline sponge is definitely better. The HD sponge is more dense and not as porous as the Proline.

I just got the Zymol sponge courtesy of Ken! I hope to test it out soon but that all depends on the weather conditions as it has been raining as of late.

7. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

today i went to home depot and i saw some grout sponges... they r the famous home depot grout sponges?

8. Reflect

Yeah that's the Home Depot ones. Lowe's carries Proline which are better apparently.

9. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I'd like to see a comparison of the two. Some people like the HD better, some people like Lowes better, some people like Lake Country better. For the price though, these are a great buy imo. Next time I'm in the states I'm going to pick up some Proline ones.

10. Hamilton

Hamilton Virgin Detailer

The HD ones should be in a bin, unwrapped. Those wrapped ones I believe are not as soft as the ones in the bin.

11. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

ill buy the 6-pack and try it
    i dont have a lowes locally to try the pro-line grout sponges :(

12. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hmmm, Interesting. Haven't tried one of these yet. They look good too...:thumb:

13. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

I have been using the Lowes' grout sponge for my ONR washes this winter. Today I tried the Home Depot sponge. I did not like it as much as the Lowes' sponge. The Lowe's sponge is softer, and it seems to release dirt and grime much easier.

[​IMG]

Two thumbs up for the Lowe's Proline grout sponge. :thumb: :thumb:

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

True that. I used Proline GS, and liked it. I still like Uber/Zymol sponge better, but hey, you can't loose with a $2 sponge. I picked 2 of them, and 1 Proline bone-shaped sponge too...

15. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

how are the bone shaped ones compared to the grout sponges? i grabbed 4 at lowes today thinking they were the same...

16. Reflect

Not as good I've heard.

17. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

thanks, went back and picked up the last 4, kept a bone shaped for rims and whatnot

18. DC5Berry

DC5Berry Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+1 on Lowes Proline GS. It has worked fantastically for me during traditional washes w/ the foam gun and my ONR washes. No need to try the one from HD

19. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I really like the release from a sponge when using ONR. It seems a wash mitt gets dirty a lot faster than this sponge.

20. Reflect

Proline or HD?