hobby to business...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by DetailnDude, Mar 11, 2009.

1. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

Here is a project I have been dreading. I restarted my detailing buisiness last August and it has literally left my "job" in the dust. So i got my permits and all that good stuff. Logo design,Business cards, shirts and my website will be up in April. My only problem is my zoning which I hope I get by with for a while . I am just working out of my home garage and If I have to move I do have 2 locations lined up. I don't want the overhead jsut yet. Anyway I looked behind my drywall and realized there was no insulation. I added a hanging Hot Dawg heater this winter and will be adding air conditioning soon. So I am in the process of turning everyday garage in to business shop. here is the beginning of no end.. lol
    I will saher pictures as I go if anyone is ineterested . I will be working on it day in and out until it is done. I hope I post these pictures right.. let me know if you want to see daily progress.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DetailnDude

This is the wall I am really not excited about tearing down...geeeezzzz...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DetailnDude

BTW-The plastic hanging in front of the heater wasn't doing that before this project started...:thumb:

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Looks like a nice place to chill out!

5. g35videos

g35videos Two Bucket System Washer

nice nice

6. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Looks awesome, can't wait to see your garage done. I'm sure we'll all be envious

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Looks like a big project! I'd definitely enjoy your process pictures!

8. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

step by step, inch by inch, one day you reap the rewards. You may want to double check how things are wired though. Thanks for sharing.

9. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

You have a great place to have a shop. I would like to see updates but they don't have to be daily...Good luck...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I'm with buddy. Love to see updates.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Thanks for the updates. Looks good.

12. DetailnDude

Thanks ! It is a mess right now but I hope it will be..

Thanks

Thank You !
    I don't know if envious is the right word..lol I have seen some of the shops posted here..

Thanks ! It is a bigger project than I want to do. But I only have $250 in insulation and a few replacement dry wall sheets. I can't even imagine what it would have cost to have this worked contracted..from tearing down drywall hanging/finishing,insulation,texture,paint etc I will post pics as I go . Todays mission is to get everything moved to the wall where I hang floor mats and start tearing my my tool and supply wall....eeeeee !!

Thanks.. The excitement has kept everything smooth sailing so far and you are right about step by step and inch by inch.. Did you see some scary wiring? The garage has been like this since it was new about 17 years ago according to the neighbors. I have only been here about 4. I have realized I need to get an electrician out for more power. If I have my Extractor going and my furnace kicks on it's lights out..lol

I wish I had the xtra money to get a permenant location but that is just to riskiy at this point, so garage it is... I have been using it since last Aug and it has worked great . I hope I don't get to many crew cab long bed duallys. Mine would fit but I could not walk around the front or back..lol pretty tight.

Thanks again for all the responses and I will be back with some more pics probably around 9-10pm central time. Well of to the nightmare I go ....lol

13. DetailnDude

Thanks ! I'll have some more tonight..

Thank You !
    I'll go get some more pics rounded up ! It is the day I was not looking forward too..lol the busy wall !!
    :yikes:

14. 68Stang

68Stang Birth of a Detailer

It's going to be a pretty nice place. The only recommendation I have is to pick up a couple tool boxes to get everything off the wall. It'll look a lot cleaner in there. Oh and a question, does the 'muffler' on the shop vac really make that big of a difference?

15. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

I have one mounted on the central vac unit in the garage. It fell off one day while I was in there and the wife was actually using it......Huge diference in sound. Mine just looks to be a plastic tube with some foam coiled up inside. I would bet it makes just as much diference with a shopvac.

16. DetailnDude

I would Love to get one of them fancy tool boxes but with the dollar situation I will have to wait. It would look cleaner,I agree. But I do like having access on the wall just grab and go..
    Yes the muffler does make a difference and the biggest thing I noticed is it cuts out that high pitch sound you get out of shop-vacs.

17. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

I'm not trying to nitpick the wiring but making sure nothing happens. You have a wire running lights and 2 boxes and i'm not sure what the wire is doing that comes through the wall, which should be secured with fasteners and the wire coming out of the box and wired together sticking out is not good, should be fastened together in the box, and the wire running up the wall should be secured. Hope that helps just in case you get a surprise visit from a code officer. Good Luck .

18. DetailnDude

ROUND 2 ! Todays mission almost completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DetailnDude

Thanks for the information. I do have an electrician Buddy of mine coming over to move a light switch for me and he said he would take a look at the stuff you mentioned. I know very basics of electric and thats about it.

20. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

I uhmmmmmm, finished off my own garage also.. 2.5 car.. I just don't understand why you didn't run the wiring inside the walls since you hung new drywall myself.

Hanging drywall on the ceiling is hard.. Actually putting it up is so easy, it's the finishing of it, that is the pain. I wanted to tell you at the beginning to put the wiring in the walls, but what the hey, it's your place.