Hmm need some help - polishing black saab

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by spK, Oct 24, 2009.

1. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Hey guys,

Well I did my first car polish today. Did it on my sisters black 9-3 saab.

How hard is the damn clear on this car?
    I used SIP with CCS Orange pad on a PC7424 and the damn swirls were still there. That's the toughest combo I have :(

My technique was:
    Prime pad with megs LT (one light spray)
    Spread out polish at 1 speed
    Cranked it up to 5 and polished away
    Ran it for 2-3 minutes and wiped the polish off with a mf.

Is my technique wrong?

Spent the whole day doing it and didn't get a significant result.

Thanks fellas

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

what size pad are you using? 6.5" pads are not very effective on the pc. actually, 4" pads are ideal for correction on that machine. and crank that thing up to 6!

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

also, watch how much pressure you.re puttin on the machine. the bp should make about 1 revolution per second. draw a line from the center of the bp out to the edge with a sharpie, so it.s easier to see how fast/slow it.s spinning.

4. richy

richy Guest

I've only done one Saab but I looked it up (here) and saw that I used UCCL with a wool pad. The paint was nasty with lots of scratches, but they all came out. You need to step up your game on this paint. I was also using a rotary. If you only have a RO, you need to use the KB method with Megs 105. Let us know how it turns out.

5. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

I used 5.5" pads.
    I'll try the sharpie trick next time.

Thanks for the info Richy, I'll probably have to sport a wool pad.
    Btw, what is the "KB method"?

Thanks

6. richy

richy Guest

KB is Kevin Brown (method) which is designed for random orbital polishers paired up with 105. I love 105 but use it with a rotary. Do a search on the KB method..should be a lot here on it.

7. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Thanks Richy, found the post where KB uses 105 with a PC.

Time to order those pads and 105/205

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The beauty of using a pc is that you can go to a compounding pad and heavy polish like 105, Power Finish or GI Extreme Cut and get excellent results without the worries of burning paint. The GI compounding pad or even the Menz or 3M compounding pads will yield excellent results.