Highline II Review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Reflect, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Highline II Paint Thickness Gauge

I just got my Highline II a few weeks ago and I wanted to do a little test of it's accuracy etc. They provide you with 4 Plastic Shims with preordained measurements in mils and microns. I used these to gain five readings each on the sheets. I decided to use microns for better accuracy. I also did this test to rub it in pektel's face that I have a PTG so he and his Supernatural and RBOE can shove it. :p:

Accuracy

Math
    ((Reading - Plastic Shim Preordained Measurement) x 100) - 100 = Percentage over Plastic Shim Preordained Measurement

50 Microns: Readings
    54 +8.00%
    51 +2.00%
    53 +6.00%
    51 +2.00%
    53 +6.00%
    Average Percentage= 4.80% @50 microns

101 Microns: Readings
    103 +1.98%
    103 +1.98%
    102 +0.99%
    106 +4.95%
    103 +1.98%
    Average Percentage= 2.38% @101 microns

249 Microns: Readings
    251 +0.80%
    257 +3.21%
    252 +1.21%
    250 +0.40%
    255 +2.41%
    Average Percentage= 1.61% @ 249 microns

492 Microns: Readings
    493 +0.20%
    499 +1.42%
    495 +0.61%
    493 +0.20%
    495 +0.61%
    Average Percentage= 0.61% @ 492 microns

Obviously, the larger thickness in terms of microns is going to measure more "accurately", just due to the large number itself. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with it's accuracy. Some sources of error may be an innaccurate preordained micron number or oils and such from my hands. I noticed it always read higher than the preordained number, which made my math a tad bit easier. It was accurate and pretty precise.

Speed

Takes about 1.5 seconds to take one reading.

Ergonomics

Lightweight, fits easily in hand.

Price

Cost me $225 shipped.

Final Thoughts

I'm very glad I purchased this meter. It makes me feel safer when polishing a car and it'll come in handy when searching for cars to purchase. For the price, it is an excellent deal in comparison to the higher priced meters; I would like to see how they stack up in comparison in terms of accuracy. The only con of the meter that I found was that it is unable to measure on non-metals, to my knowledge at least. I hope this pushed a few of you "on the edge" guys over the top to invest in one.

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

For non metal you need a different andx pricey set up. I have the HM2 and it was a great purchase for me.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I will have one soon enough, my friend. Awesome pick up! Should come in handy during your summer business venture.

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Lemme borrow it?

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

thanks for useful review

6. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

want to get this gauge today. any word from pros on this. if it measures to .1 and not to .5 like other gauges. i mean how accurate do you need it to be. id say that it tells you within few microns id say its good enough to make judgments if correction is safe to do or not. yeah maybe it takes 1.5 seconds to take measurement but who cares. i can wait a little if it means paying less. plus it does aluminum and metal so i dont see why not.
    whats bad side about this gauge? no back light, who cares, you dont do this in dark

8. pektel

The only downside to this meter is it won't read on non-metals. But you won't find one of those in this price range.

I will be ordering this one shortly too.

9. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i can live with that. hope ferrari we gona do doesnt have many CF panels

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

called them. found out that you can calibrate it and it does have 10 measurements memory just like paint detective. so im gona order one now

11. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

placed my order. hope i get it friday

12. pektel

Nice! I really need to order one.

And an extractor.

And a steamer.

dammit, this is expensive.

13. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

canceled my order. assholes didnt ship it yesterday as promised so i would not get it this friday which is gona be useless after that. so there. i told them ill pay half for overnight and they declined. ohh well.

14. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

That sucks big time, you think they try to do something for ya...Prob find a old school manual thickness gauge at a body shop supply store.

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

eff this, that just pissed me off even more today, i knew it would happen. started making excuses that it should be received by 11. i have email from them that it says that if i submit order before 3pm EST, it will be shipped same day.

16. carcat

carcat Virgin Detailer

Thanks, Reflect, you are as good as Consumer Reports :applause2:

I've had the older model highline paint meter for a couple of years now. It was the best deal I could find all over the Internet back then in 2007.

17. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Buy smart, buy used :)

18. pektel

I try. You end up buying it first! lol.

19. carcat

carcat Virgin Detailer

If you only need the paint meter for Friday only, and after that it is useless, then you shouldn't even buy it at all. Why don't you just borrow one from a fellow detailer here at a local meet-and-greet event ?

I have dealt with them over the phone and through e-mail many times, and have always received great service. I have friends who bought from them too, and have been very happy.

20. TS

TS Virgin Detailer

This is the one detailing item that I don't fully understand so I was hoping you guys could enlighten me. What micron reading is considered to have plenty of clear coat to work with? What micron reading is considered too small to even try to compound or polish? Thanks in advance.