Helpful tip - Take 5 minute breaks when polishing

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by detailersdomain, Oct 5, 2010.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

So for about 4 months now I have been going to PT for treatment on my tendonitis. Well I have now resorted to acupuncture to relieve some of the inflammation.

[​IMG]

all I can say is don't over use your body and make sure you take a rest from time to time.....

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

wow phil.....

3. KenB

KenB DB Forum Supporter

Hope you heal up fast now Phil.
    Tendinitis is a rough one. Looks like your on the right track though:)

4. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i think you need to slow down mate

between the detailing and countless forums, id imagine you're way overdue for some me time

5. washerwaxer

washerwaxer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Phil, I am not sure what caused your tendinitis but this is a good opportunity to mention one thing that all detailers are susceptible to which is the effect of vibration from the polisher. Vibration is a very serious threat to ones health and can cause poor blood circulation and nerve damage resulting i permanent disability. Here is a link to information about vibration in the workplace.

Here are a couple of tips to decrease the effects of vibration on the body.

"Precautions with Vibrating Tools

Although significant advances have been made in reducing tool vibration, preventative measures to reduce this hazard are still necessary. Anti-vibration tools, anti-vibration gloves, and anti-vibration shields may also help reduce exposure to vibration.

In general, grinding, machining, and vibrating processes should be as fully automated as possible. Workers should use vibrating tools only when necessary.

There are several ways to reduce the amount of vibration that passes from the tool to the hands.

* Use only well-maintained and properly operating tools.
    * Hold vibrating tools as lightly as possible, consistent with safe work practices. Let the tool do the work.
    * Rest vibrating tools on a support or work piece as much as possible.
    * Store tools so that they do not have cold handles when next used.
    * Use proper job design with scheduled breaks to reduce exposure to vibration."

OSH Answers: Vibration - Introduction

OSH Answers: Raynaud's Phenomenon

6. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

What's your exact diagnosis, Phil? What other treatment have you had?

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I take breaks, because I sweat like a dog...can't wait for winter...

8. Sublime

Sublime Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I had no idea about the Vibration issues. Man Im going to have to take breaks from now on. Its not uncommon for me to do 8 hours straight on the buff. Which I know is crazy anyway, but most of the time it needs to be done in order to get the job finished in time. One of the many reasons I think I will give away paint correction whilst being mobile.

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Hand-arm vibration

Vibration can cause a range of conditions called hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS). The best known is vibration white finger (VWF), but vibration also links to specific diseases such as carpal tunnel syndrome.

For some people symptoms appear after only a few months of exposure but for others it may take years. The symptoms are likely to get worse with repeated exposure and can lead to permanent damage and disfigurement. They can severely limit the jobs that someone is able to do, as well as affect family and social activities.

The symptoms include any combination of: tingling and numbness in the fingers; not being able to feel things properly; loss of strength in the hands; and/or fingers going white (blanching) and becoming red and painful on recovery (particularly in the cold and wet, and probably only in the tips at first).

Gloves are available that are designed to exceed the rigorous requirements of the ISO Standard 10819 (ANSI S3.4-2002) for the absorption of vibration due to direct hand contact with vibrating equipment, machinery or hand held tools.

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Detailing aint for sissies:p:

11. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

bump on that. gotta love a jacuzzi after a long detail

12. detailersdomain

I had a doc confirm that its tendonitis

Problem is I haven't been able to get any rest on it, Physical Therapy for 3 days a week for 2 months.

Anyway with all the packing, typing, new born, details I haven't been able to get any rest.

Sucks but I have to keep it going.

Now I'm going to try the acupuncture out.

13. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Hope you get better...good luck!

14. detailersdomain

its getting better thanks! I just wanted to put it out there that its a good idea to take breaks.

15. detailersdomain

great info

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hope you get well soon, Phil! You really need to keep work to a minimum (around 8 hours a day) because work will always be there for you. ;)

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Take time out................

Life lesson: I used to work very long hours six / seven days a week. My daughter once said “Dad we almost never see you” My answer was that I work hard to give you all the things you need.

Her reply; “But Daddy all we need is you”

Moral of this story; I completely missed out on seeing my children grow up, by thinking I gave them all they wanted

18. mujjuman

mujjuman Virgin Detailer

thats nuts!! hope u get better soon...

i'm def taking breaks

19. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

Phil, good luck on getting better!

20. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

ive had other issues back problems. 20 years of landscaping over doing so many years really screwed me up. sucks getting old miss my 20 s . p t for me doesnt help heat is good but only when appled. i just gotto deal with it i quess. sorry about ur wrist phil. i know how that feels my wife has that..