Help with suede.

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by 911Fanatic, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Need some help. I had a guy call today about cleaning a suede steering wheel. I'll assume its a MOMO or similar. Any products that can be used safely on suede?

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

The only thing I could think of is maybe like a suede shoe cleaning kit, but I dont know how well that would work for this application, that even doesnt clean suede as well as you would hope. I have a couple pairs of suede Pumas and got a cleaning kit at a local grocery store and cleaned them and it worked decently well.

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Contact Phil at DD about the Leather Masters stuff tehy make suede goodies

4. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Try the Leather Masters foaming cleaner, or the alcantra cleaner

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'd try a reasonably stiff-bristled brush first, no chemicals. See what that'll do. I'm convinced. Suede (and alcantara) is the work of the devil - it really is hateful stuff to keep nice.

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Another vote for the proper Leather Masters products... they make EVERYTHING for every type of leather....

7. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

my first plan of safe attack would be a steam gun. that with a MF towel to wipe it and I think it would be fine.

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Ken I have tried some of Mark's (Raceglaze UK) new Alcantara cleaner on my suede lounge suite and it worked like a bomb :thumb:

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Suede
    Suede is not commonly found in vehicles, except in custom interiors, suede should be cleaned by using a napping brush to raise the pile and then use solvent-free foam cleaner. To maintain a clean surface use a spray on (Leather Master) Nubuk Protection.

N-Nubuk / Alcantara®

Is top grain leather that has been aniline dyed for colour and then polished to create a nap, producing a velvet-like surface. Since Nubuk leathers have no pigment applied these hides will exhibit colour variation from hide to hide and dye lot to dye lot. Some natural markings are visible throughout these hides.

However, Nubuk or a synthetic known as Alcantara® is commonly found in sports luxury vehicles; on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for aesthetic purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel) and the headliner, it is highly absorbent, creating a texture similar to velvet, many people confuse this product with suede leather.
    As a general rule when cleaning Nubuk, Alcantara ®, Ecsaine, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It's also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won't be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an area that doesn't show to see what the effect will be.

Leather Master™ Nubuk Protection (N-Nubuk / Alcantara®)
    Repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains
    Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

(LM) Products made specifically for Nubuk (Alcantara®) leather
    • Cleaning Pad Cleans refreshes and revitalises Nubuk, brushed aniline and suede leather without the need for additional liquids or chemicals. At the same time it will restore the nap (surface appearance) of the leather to its' original look.
    • Foam Cleaner is a mild solvent product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.
    • Always pre-test the product on a hidden area.
    • Protection helps to protect suede and Nubuk leather against stains from drinks and food; it also makes the leather easier to clean.

Alcantara® Cleaning / Care

10. RickyMartinZ28

RickyMartinZ28 Virgin Detailer

I recover wheels and knobs... I actually use steam on my suede... or a stiff bristle brush and nubuck cleaner with a mf towel...