Help with my Dilemma, Paint Correction prior to XPEL?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by P Rock, Oct 4, 2015.

1. P Rock

P Rock New Member

Greetings,
    I'm picking up a 2008 Porsche 911 and driving it from NY back to Pittsburgh. The car had 3M protection film all it's life but previous owner removed it earlier this spring due to it lifting in some areas. I don't want to drive it back 400+ miles unprotected so I'm planning to schedule an install of XPEL Ultimate somewhere in NYC while I'm out there.

My question is, would you want to compound or polish prior to XPEL install? The car was without a clear bra for only about 400 miles and it was wrapped it's whole life. The car is a 2008 with 38k miles. Do the installers typically do paint correction prior to install for adhesion?

What would you do if you're in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

2. okay65829

okay65829 Active Member

First you should absolutely visit Phil at detailersdomain in Norwood nj to have him look at the car and give you an estimate. 2nd compounding/polishing the paint is almost a no brainier because you won't have the opportunity to do it after you wrap the car. If you want maximum gloss and perfection have it all at the same time by someone whose an expert and enjoy the results for years to come.

3. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

most do not paint correct before xpel, but if the customer requests it to be done it can be done.

that typically is another service in addition to it.

most installers will have to wash/clay and prep the areas being clear filmed.

most clear films will take 2 full days to do, if you add paint correction add another day.

remember whoever you decide to go to you will need the film to dry out as much as possible.

4. P Rock

P Rock New Member

I just sent you an e-mail Phil. I didn't know you're so close to NYC. I've bought all my detailing gear from you and looking forward to buying more for my new (to me) car.