Help With Holograms!!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by leamangriffin, Feb 4, 2010.

1. leamangriffin

leamangriffin Two Bucket System Washer

I have a question. When polishing my buddys black mustang I cant seem to get rid of the holograms. The rids are coming out ok but there are holograms everywhere.
    I am using 3m perfect it rubbing compound on an orange sonus pad with a PC . IPA wipedown in between each stage, followed up with 4star Swirl mark remover on a sonus Green pad. I am letting the polish work out for about 2-3 minutes. I need some serious help here cuz its driving me nuts. Also, I am about to get a new pad set. Which one should I get? I need an all around pad set that can tackle most jobs. And how often should I replace pads. And what is the best method for cleaning pads. I tried the terry cloth method. i tried soaking them in cleaner, then mashine washing. Nothing seems to clean them up.

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I have no experience with sonus or 4* polishes. You must be using a rotary, since I don't know how you can hologram with a PC. It could have super soft paint, and you need a finer polish/pad combo. There are a number of things with technique that can contribute to holograms. Not breaking down the polish fully, machine movement, machine pressure, etc.

What speed are you setting the polisher to? Is the green sonus pad a finish polish pad? Is the 4* swirl mark remover a finishing polish? If it were me, I would step down one more time to something with the same aggressiveness as Menzerna PO106FF, and a pad similar to a Lake Country black.

3. leamangriffin

well ive been doing some reading, and I think im doing away with the 4* stuff. and also the sonus pads. Supposedly the sonus green is a finishing pad, but there is a blue pad I use for LSP. I think the combo is too aggressive. Atleast for the black paint. It seems too soft. also, I realized that i am finishing at way too high of a speed on the PC . I was finishing at 5 when I probably should be at 3 or 2. Any more advice?

4. pektel

So you are using a PC? 106FF with an LC white or black would do the trick. The very first detail I did was with a PC. I used Poorboy's SSR3 with an orange pad, then cleaned it up with Menz 106FF with a white pad.

Draw a radius on your backing plate with a black sharpie. You don't want to use too much pressure to where the pad stops spinning. The slowest you want that pad to spin is about 1 revolution per second. That's the most you want to press down on the machine. You can probably finish at about 4, and with real light pressure. Just make sure the polish is completely broken down.

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

What year is the Mustang, if it is a newer one they have a harder clear. The four star isn't going to do much. For a reference you can look up a few of my show and shines on a few of the black Mustangs I have done on here.

6. pektel

Another tidbit I'll add: If using a PC, dont 'use anything bigger than a 5.5" pad. It doesn't have the power. Of course that's not true if you have the 7424XP.

7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

How you are you running the buffer?

Haphazardly all over the paint everywhere?

8. leamangriffin

I have the 7424xp
    I am doing a 2x2 up and down then across.
    I think pektel is right, I am not finishing it right. I need to add another step.

I am gonna place an order tonight for some lc pads and some different glaze and finishing compound.
    I did a quick spot with the 4* swirl mark remover but I used my blue pad that I normally use to apply LSP this time and it came out better. now I need to get a more "finishing" compound.

9. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

you should try menzerna polishes, and uber pads. detailersdomain will have a sale shortly, and you can order both from there.

he does carry some of the menzernapolishes in 16oz size if you dont wanna go all out and order the quarts yet.

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Skip the glaze, since you have the pc get yourself some Meguiars 105 and 205 and 5.5 inch pads-orange, white and gray. Also if you really want to amp up the finish grab some 85rd after you use the 105 and 205 combo. The Mustang paints are on the harder side so the Megs polishes are going to work a lot better than the Menzerna polishes.

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Id get uber pads from Phil... don't like LC at all...

12. leamangriffin

i keep hearing things about lc pads, but it seems everyone is using them. Uber huh, I think i will give em a try. Im going to get 4" though. And the 3M compound I have is similar to M105 on the AG comparison chart, so I think im gonna stick with it for now until I can try out some M105/3M on a 50/50. Might get an old hood to try it on. Black of course. I think Im just gonna pick up a good glaze to finish with and some good finishing pads. For now. oh, and another question...

Cleaning the pads... Is there a good way?

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Just because it compares to one product does not mean it works as well especially with a certain tool. The 105 works much better with a pc then the 3M compound. Just remember everytime you wash the car after applying glaze it will be removed.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If you using a PC, its very simple. Use Megs 105 on LC 5.5 Orange Flat and follow up with Megs 205 or Menz Power Finish on LC 5.5 Green or White. Done. As Dana said, if you want to amp up the gloss, Menz 85rd on LC 5.5 Black Flat. Spread product on 2 and polish on 5. Even when using the 205/85RD. :)

15. leamangriffin

hmm. Well I guess im gonna get some 105 and 205 then. Just gotta return my 3M. Now the only question left is LC pads or UBER. And If I go UBER which pads to get?

16. leamangriffin

I mean a good finishing glaze for before the LSP. Maybe glaze wasnt the correct word.

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Get the LC pads, they work great.

18. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No need for glaze, just polish the paint correctly, plus when polished correctly it is perminent.

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Agreed. If you follow the steps Dana and I have outlined for you, your paint will be flawless. If you want to use a glaze, make sure its only to some depth and wetness to the paint and not to mask holograms, swirls etc. Apply on a blue or red pad at 3 or 4 on your PC. CG Wet Mirror is very nice.

20. leamangriffin

ok well Im guessing ive been incorrectly speaking. I am not looking to get a filler. Im guessing glaze is an unneccesary step. So heres what ive got. Im getting the uber pads from Phil at DD. then I am getting some M105 and M205. Should that do it for most corrections or will I need another step?