Help with cleaning and protecting TSW wheels

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by TheRustySuper, Apr 10, 2011.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Alright so I just ordered a set of TSW Nurburgring wheels for my '09 GTI. (Link to them here.) They are a matte gunmetal finish, something new to me. Up until this point, I have only dealt with cleaning factory wheels. These will also be the wheels I will be using on the track and in the summer, and while on the track they will accumulate a lot of brake dust from my track pads...hence the matte finish, they won't show the dust as bad. Even though they will only be on the car during the track day season, I still want them to look nice. They're the first big ticket item I've bought for this car.

As I don't really know anything about maintaining this finish...what is the best way to go about cleaning them and keeping them looking nice? Obviously I wouldn't use an acidic wheel cleaner but would using brushes on them (Raceglaze and EZ Detail are what I've got) cause any damage? I only ask because I've heard of people having issues with even those brushes causing marring/scratches. As far as cleaning goes I keep my wheels maintained so I assume soap and water would be good, but for when they get nasty after a track day would something like CG Diablo or an APC be safe to use as well?

Also, I've used Collinite 845 and CG Wheel Wax in the past on my current wheels and my dad's BMW wheels with a fair amount of success, but would those products work on a matte finish wheel too? I've heard people suggest using Aquawax as well. (On a slightly off note, the track day really seemed to kill the coating of 845 I had on my current wheels. Is that normal or did I not get it applied properly?)

Sorry for the long question that probably has a really simple answer, but this is the most I've ever spent on my car before and I really want to make sure I keep my investment looking good :thumb:

Thanks for reading,

Clark

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Those are some nice looking wheels dude. I have a set of matte black rims and well have not had any issues with the RG wheel brush. Any wheel cleaner will be fine on them. I seem to always use the BF Wheel&Tire Cleaner works great. Both Collinite and CG Wheel Wax will work great. I've used the CG with great success and top up with Einszett Spray Wax for added shine sometimes.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Hit up Rfinkle2, he has those wheels as well.......... my wheels are a matte finnish, i use AGCWC and or CG Citrus gel I use a uber sponge which works perfect, but I always use a swissvax wheel brush. I would not try to seal them with anything that takes away from the matte finnish. I tried some different products Z2, Jetseal, and some other sealants and it actually created a gloss to the wheel.

4. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

You rang.....lol.

I have been using Eagle one's keep wheels clean, after using soap and water. It doesn't create a gloss, and must have a bit of cleaner in it too.

I never used it, but someone did an entire matte car on DB with a matte finish specific sealant from Swisswax. (I'm pretty sure it was a VW too!)

I am dying for Akebono Brake Co. to come out with their 915a for my car, because my pads now to some serious dustin'. lol

I haven't had the need to hit my wheels with anything stronger than soap and water so far...

5. Kilo6_one

It was a matte black Golf that miglior detailing did.

Get performance friction pads! that is what I use, google them

6. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

Swissvax Opaque?

7. Kilo6_one

8. kyoshiro

mmm you should try it and tell us =p
    I want to buy new rims (btw nice rims clark, forgot to say that in my last post)
    but man at 20" they're 500+ a pop and I was staring at HREs which costs 1k+ a corner LOL and OZs are about the same... dont wanna downsize cuz it'll look weird on a road stanced SUV and dont wanna go bigger cuz i hate speed difs and rim repairs lol
    oh and i have to check if my rim insurance covers aftermarkets zomg so complicated!

9. Kilo6_one

buy some AMG wheels?

Yeah I did some research on that CG product, its more of a detailer, and proably has very little to any protection.

10. kyoshiro

but AMG wheels are like so AMG that I'd feel so AMG. but no although AMG has nice rims, it would look weird to clash with the GLK AMG Body kit =p maybe BRABUS

11. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Clark, you could use SW Opaque like Aldric said for the face of the wheels. And for the barrels since you'll be tracking the wheels I would def use some sort of sealant for sure. It wouldn't matter if the barrels get shiny it wouldn't last long with the brake dust getting on them. You would just benefit from the protection.

12. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Opti-Coat.... I just applied it to my wheels that came OEM with the V50 I factory ordered and I have never had such an easy time washing wheels. 80% of the accumulated debris comes off with just a pressure washer blast. The rest comes off with regular soap and wash mitt.

I just today ordered a set of Enkei SC05 (link) wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12's and I will also be coating them with Opti-Coat.

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Sonus Aluminum sealant is eerily silmilar to Blackfire All Metal Sealant and it works excellent at repelling brake dust. My brother washes, clays and applies three coats of the wheel sealant before he mounts them for the spring and summer. He does track the car a few times a year but is still able to use nothing more than soap and water because of the wheel sealant. BTW, the Sonus offering is $6 cheaper than Blackfire in the 16oz size. :)

14. TheRustySuper

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'd love the Swissvax...but that's way outta my price range. Maybe one day when I'm rich :afro: I think the first thing I'm gonna try is what rfinkle2 suggested, that Eagle One Keep Wheels Clean. It's inexpensive and I can get it locally. If I don't like it I'll give the Opti-Coat or Blackfire a shot. I'll keep you guys posted, hopefully I'll be getting the wheels by the end of the week :thumb:

15. Kilo6_one

go on eagle ones website, and check out the video, it looks legit.

16. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I would suggest staying away from that product. It leaves a milky white haze on the rims, and I'd imagine that haze would be easily visible on matte black rims. It really does work, though...zero brake dust and dirt when I was using it on my car but it gets washed away in the rain.

I'm playing with Wolf's Chemicals Nano Rim Sealant this week.

17. TheRustySuper

As has been mentioned before...have you noticed any milky white residue on your wheels after using it?

18. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

That's very odd. I have applied Opti-Coat on more wheels than anyone and have never had it turn a milky white. I would check your application methods. I have never applied the coating to matte materials so not sure about those results.

Anthony

19. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Anthony, I was referring to the Eagle One Keep Clean Wheels.

20. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

Ah, well my bad then.....DOH

Carry on