Help! Cleaning cloth seats without an extractor

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by TheRustySuper, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

So I was contacted by a client, whose car I'm doing this afternoon. It's an explorer and she wants the cloth seats cleaned but I don't have an extractor...only kegs apc and zep citrus. Any tips? I need them quick!

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

heres what I'll do

1. Dilute Zep 3:1 & 2:1 handy
    2. Blow the interior
    3. Brush interior
    4. Vacuum interior
    5. Treat interior with APC and brushes what have you
    6. Have a warm rinse bucket to rinse whatever you clean off the interior
    7. Dry with tons of towels

3. TheRustySuper

Thanks! As it turned out the seats just needed to be spot-treated (and even then not too much so) so no big deal...this time. But I'll keep that in mind for the next car that comes along who wants cloth seats cleaned. Grr. Cloth seats + family car that gets trashed = bad.

4. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

best i have found is one of the dry foam carpet cleaners, resolve or blue coral....the foam will sit on the surface for you to for 2-3 mintues b4 its absorbed to deep in the seat to be wiped up. works great honestly think i would still do this on cloth seats even if i had an extractor

5. richy

richy Guest

6. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

you have a shop vac? use it to suck out as much water as possible.

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I would invest in a Bissell LGM and some folex. You can get one for $75 at Costco or Walmart. You'll make that money back after doing one or two interior details.

8. TheRustySuper

That is actually quite tempting. Would I only be able to use it on cloth seats and such or could I use it on carpets and stuff as well? And how well does it work...I always get really gross cars so it would have to be up to the task ;)

9. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

You can use it on both carpets and mats. I do prefer using a DA attachment brush to scrub mats first though.

10. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

LGM works really good for most interior jobs. If the interior is really nasty, vacuum it really good and do a Folex (or whatever cleaner you use) presoak and work the folex with a stiff brush. You should be able to loosen up most stains with some elbow grease. Then use the LGM to remove whatever stains you got out with the folex/brush aggitation. Having an extractor is so much easier, but if you are on a budget (like me) this method works well.

11. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

A tip I'll pass along that a friend taught me.
    If you're not using a vacuum or extractor to suck up the dirt after you treat it with chemical, spare terry cloths work great.
    Think about it like this, you're not sucking it up so the dirt has to go somewhere; onto the terry towels. You're just transferring the dirt from the cloth seats to the towels. And chemicals aid in the process to make the dirt detach itself from the original fabric. /ramble

12. TheRustySuper

Thanks for the advice! And I just bought the Bissell LGM Pro-Heat turbobrush, I bought a refurb'd unit for $47 and it should be coming in the mail soon...can't wait to try it out.