Help choosing products for correction

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by fuzzybam, Nov 10, 2012.

1. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Virgin Detailer

Cross posting this from M3Post since I'm not getting any love over there... Just looking for some recommendations or help with fixing these imperfections/scratches/marring.

Background info
    1) There are not any worthwhile detailers in town. The last one I tried left a lot of polish all over my car.
    2) Cars are a BMW 328i and Subaru WRX
    3) I currently have most of the Auto Finesse line, but I have not been able to commit to a polish/pre-wax/compound yet and I have been slowly building my detailing gear. I am trying to get the cars prepped and waxed/sealed before the winter rains start to come.
    4) I do have a Griot's 6" DA, but I am just beginning to use it.

I have a couple of imperfections on our two cars that I was looking to rectify. They are light scratches, a tiny amount of marring, leftover "stuff" from a poor detail job, and some aheadlight haze. What would you guys recommend to clean this stuff up? Thanks in advance! Pics below show the imperfections.

This is leftover from a previously poor detailer
    [​IMG]

This is the headlight haze. I want to get this fixed and then apply some proper film to prevent this, so recommendations for that would be great too.
    [​IMG]

This is the absolute worst of the imperfections. Someone tapped the mirror, but it looks like I can get most of it off with some muscle.
    [​IMG]

These are a couple of typical scratches, but I have no idea what caused them.
    [​IMG]

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Strange predicament you are in with two cars with completely different paint densities.

BMW generally have hard paint (besides the non-metallic black). And Subaru tends to have soft paint. Thus there will not be one product to recommend for both as you will want a stronger polish for the Bimmer and a finishing polish for the Subbie.

Some recommended polishes that most people will agree upon as being the best in the industry:

Menzerna 85rd (now called SF4500)
    Menzerna SI1500
    Meguiars D300 (formulated for Microfiber pads)
    Meguiars M105
    Meguiars M205
    Sonax Perfect Finish
    Sonax Nano Polish
    Sonax Fine Abrasive.

3. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Virgin Detailer

I figured as such about the paints since my Subaru scratches if you look at it funny :lol:. I don't mind buying a polish for the Subie and one for the BMW.

I was looking pretty closely at the Sonax polishes and the Meguiars M105/M101 (since m101 is to be released pretty soon). I will look at the rest of the ones you recommended.