Help choosing a compact SUV.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by supercharged, Apr 6, 2013.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

As family is getting bigger, it's time to upgrade Bmw E46 coupe for a bigger vehicle. So far, my wife wants a compact SUV. I have 3 on the list, that I want to test drive, - BMW X3, Mercedes GLK, and Audi Q5. Wanted to stay within german car range, as they give most pleasure of driving. I may be getting it new, or a couple years old at most. Already test drove X3 and really liked it, love the option to tune suspension to your mood. Will be test driving others as well. What would you get and why?

2. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

If your going X3 then 2nd gen is where I think you should be at but I would most probably get a Q5. To me, they look the best.

3. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

+1 on the Q5! I hate SUV's, but if I had to have one that'd be it.

4. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I hate SUVs in general and no SUV can truly be called a driver's car but the BMW comes much closer than the Q5. The Q5 is great passenger's car. I haven't been in a recent GLK.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I haven't driven the BMW or Audi but did recently drive the GLK and quite liked it. I believe it's built on the C class chassis which would explain why it wasn't truck like to drive. The Audi is probably the best looking of the bunch.

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

GLK is nice, Q5 would be my choice, I have a touareg and its the same platform.

7. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I say the Audi Q5 love this car :)

8. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I used to work for Mercedes and have driven/detailed lots of GLKs, and they're pretty nice rigs, but I'd probably pick up the Audi before the Merc. If you want a Mercedes, I'd suggest the G wagon :D

9. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

my dad had a 10 Q5 before he got the A6 and it was honestly an amazing "SUV". It handled like an absolute dream and if you didnt know any better you would think you were in a car. He had the 3.0 engine so i cant speak for the 2.0T they are putting in it now, i imagine it would be half as fun so go with the 3.0 if your wallet can afford it :) I love the refreshed look of the Q5's very sleek and much better then the OG style he had IMO.

we drove the X3 back then but wasn't too impressed by it, especially compared to the Q5. BTW the quatro was unbelievable in the snow (as you would expect) it is honestly an amazing vehicle. We went to the Merc dealer and sat in a GLK and the fit,finsh and quality felt like a toy to us so we didnt bother test driving it.

BTW: Audi Service has been the best we have ever experienced bar none. Absolutely an amazing experience when he has needed service for minor things. Audi had an issue with the coolant pumps. when it blew on the side of the road audi picked it up and was back in it the following day. 3 weeks later audi sent an apology letter with lifetime free audi care,warranty and a $400 visa "gift card" to compensate for the issues. This was un solicited and un expected. when that came in the mail we all were floored.

Good Luck!

10. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I've not driven any of those, however I've ridden in a GLK and I really liked it. I'd definitely take a look at the X3. My mom has a 2013 X5 and if the X3 drives anything like that, I'd get it. It drives like a much smaller vehicle than it is, so I would imagine that the X3 feels downright nimble. lol

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Audi SQ5

[​IMG]